Question

Edge - Open This File?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Is There Anyone who knows a workaround for this screen:

Every time we log out of the Alliance Browser, we get this message.

When you click open you get the Alliance Browser login screen.

What we would like is the file to open automatically instead of clicking the open buton manually

someone with the same issue and/or a solution?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Try going to Settings in IE and adding the URL to the list of trusted sites, see if that helps:

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Did you try this setting in Edge by going to this url:  Edge://flags/#edge-click-once

For reference, this user has Edge as their default browser and does not use IE normally as it is being retired by Microsoft soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Try going to Settings in IE and adding the URL to the list of trusted sites, see if that helps:

Did that already, but it doesn’t help

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Did you try this setting in Edge by going to this url:  Edge://flags/#edge-click-once

For reference, this user has Edge as their default browser and does not use IE normally as it is being retired by Microsoft soon.

Hi Phil,

ClickOnce support is enabled.

for ref, i’m trying this on a windows 11 pc (no IE) and that’s not in our domain so there are no policies pushed to the computer.

The “external PC” reacts the same way my Office PC does.

So i think it has nothing to do with policies as you suggested before. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Can you see if you have any options to allow the Alliance Browser when Defender is checking the apps that are going to run.  There is an option in Edge to block potentially unwanted apps as well Microsoft Defender SmartScreen.  However these appear to be managed by your network settings and not allowing users to change them.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Can you see if you have any options to allow the Alliance Browser when Defender is checking the apps that are going to run.  There is an option in Edge to block potentially unwanted apps as well Microsoft Defender SmartScreen.  However these appear to be managed by your network settings and not allowing users to change them.

I’ve disabled SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge → didn’t help

I’ve disabled the Check of apps and files → didn’t help

Blocking of possible unwanted apps is disabled

These setting settings can’t be managed by my network settings. The PC I'm trying this on is not in our Domain. (It’s my personal pc using a VPN)

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi, could you try this and see if it works.

1. Open Settings in Edge

2. Go to Default Browser tab

3. Under Internet Explorer compatibility, there is an option called "Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode" set it to Allow

4. Add the URL of the application where you downloaded the .EXE file (Alliance/Publisher URL) to "Internet Explorer mode pages"

5. Restart Edge and test

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi, could you try this and see if it works.

1. Open Settings in Edge

2. Go to Default Browser tab

3. Under Internet Explorer compatibility, there is an option called "Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode" set it to Allow

4. Add the URL of the application where you downloaded the .EXE file (Alliance/Publisher URL) to "Internet Explorer mode pages"

5. Restart Edge and test

Unfortunalty, this doesn’t solve the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi,

If you wan't to disable the "Open this file-popup" you would have to disable ClickOnce Support in flags in Edge (as referenced by Phil Seifert above)

Next time clicking on the .application link the browser will send it to the Download Tray. There you can choose to “Always open files of this type”. 

BR
Johan

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi,

If you wan't to disable the "Open this file-popup" you would have to disable ClickOnce Support in flags in Edge (as referenced by Phil Seifert above)

Next time clicking on the .application link the browser will send it to the Download Tray. There you can choose to “Always open files of this type”. 

BR
Johan

Hi Johan,

Thank you, this solves the issue partially.

When i disable ClickOnce i can choose to always open files of this type.

But when i try to install Alliance Browser that way i get the following error:

error details:

ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of C:\Users\averkruy\Downloads\astea employee portal (7).application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + Downloading file:///C:/Users/averkruy/Downloads/Employee Application/Application Files.exe.manifest did not succeed.
        + Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\averkruy\Downloads\Employee Application\Application Files.exe.manifest'.
        + Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\averkruy\Downloads\Employee Application\Application Files.exe.manifest'.

When i change ClickOnce back to enabled, it installs Alliance Browser without any issues.

When i have alway open this file enabled.
And i log out of Alliance browser. The files opens automaticly.

But there i get an error message as well:

Error details:

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of C:\Users\averkruy\Downloads\astea employee portal (8).application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ You cannot start application Astea Employee Portal V15 Test 15.0 from this location because it is already installed from a different location.

+ You cannot start application Astea Employee Portal V15 Test 15.0 from location file:///C:/Users/averkruy/Downloads/astea%20employee%20portal%20(8).application it is already installed from location https://astea15test.centrichosting.eu/asteapublisher150_web/astea%20employee%20portal.application. You can start it from location https://astea15test.centrichosting.eu/asteapublisher150_web/astea%20employee%20portal.application or you can uninstall it and reinstall it from location file:///C:/Users/averkruy/Downloads/astea%20employee%20portal%20(8).application. If you reinstall the application, be aware that you might lose any customizations that you made to the application.

I think these issue will be something for Astea support @Phil Seifert @Reid Gilbert