Question

StartServers script issue

• 24 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of updating from Apps 9 Update 10 to Update 16 and noticed that my server startup/shutdown scripts aren’t working as expected.

It seems the cause is due to the E:\IFS\IFSExt\<INSTANCE>\mw_home\as directory being replaced by the mws directory.

In the hopes that this was a simple location switch I changed the startup/shutdown scripts to reflect this change in directory.

echo Starting Middleware servers...
cd /d %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%\instance\%SID%\bin
%JAVA_HOME%/bin/java -cp %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%/mw_home/as/wlserver/server/lib/weblogic.jar weblogic.WLST %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%/instance/%SID%/bin/mws-startServer.py startall %PWD%

to

%JAVA_HOME%/bin/java -cp %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%/mw_home/mws/wlserver/server/lib/weblogic.jar weblogic.WLST %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%/instance/%SID%/bin/mws-startServer.py startall %PWD%
cd /d %DRIVE%:%LOGFOLDER%
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 > nul

The issue I now get is that when I run the script it starts the services fine and I can log in to IFS from the client-side however the batch file displays errors such as Could not find the OffLine WLST class

See attachment for a better look at the output

The question I have is… does anyone have a script that works with this change in directory or at least advise why this might not be working.

Regards
Nathan​​​​​​

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Small update, 

As this is the original startup/shutdown script I approached support for assistance in identifying the issue.

So far all I have really been given is, remove this bit...

IFS Starting Middleware servers... cd /d %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%\instance\%SID%\bin %JAVA_HOME%/bin/java -cp %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%/mw_home/mws/wlserver/server/lib/weblogic.jar weblogic.WLST %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%/instance/%SID%/bin/mws-startServer.py startall %PWD% cd /d %DRIVE%:%LOGFOLDER% ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 > nul

Now removing this doesn’t seem to impact the startup/shutdown scripts and everything starts as it should.

My question back to them is

A) What does this bit do as it sounds like we don’t need it.
B) What is the impact (if any) by not running this.

Watch this space!

Regards
Nathan

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

So my last communication with support ended with the following explanation.

Answer 1)
“However, for your questions, the script that you mentioned will be start all the servers (Nodemanager -> AdminServer -> Middleware server and httpServer). If you go to this path "IFS_HOME-> Instance -> #Instance# -> bin" you can find this script "start_all_servers.cmd". So the same thing can be done from this script “start_all_servers.cmd”.”

Answer 2)
“Furthermore, for you second question, if you can start the servers and run the application without the script you mentioned, then that will be fine to ignore. But as these scripts were provided by consulting teams, the best option is to contact them and edit the scripts.”

So I am assuming that no one really knows what the “Starting Middleware Servers” script actually does and I just have to accept that deleting it will be fine.

Either way the point here is that, if you are going from Apps 9 Update 10 → Update 16 and you have startup/shutdown files erroring  due to the above errors then just delete the following section of code.

%JAVA_HOME%/bin/java -cp %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%/mw_home/mws/wlserver/server/lib/weblogic.jar weblogic.WLST %DRIVE%:\IFS\IFSExt\%SID%/instance/%SID%/bin/mws-startServer.py startall %PWD%
cd /d %DRIVE%:%LOGFOLDER%
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 > nul

Regards
Nathan