Database Backup while handling Updates

• 2 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

This post is just my experience with handling database and some good practices that have helped me so far. 

When applying a UPD we take a backup of the database and a VM Snapshot. The VM snapshot will be held for 3 days. The database backup taken by the DB Backup Management system is mostly kept for 1 week or in a very few instances for 1 month. As there are chances where the installation of the UPD might fail due to several reasons, it is a good practice to take a backup of this database into your work folder.

The location of the backup can be found in this area in the DB Backup Management System

Copy the RMAN folder in this location to your work folder (please note the size of the database and see if you have enough space to copy it).

Now, in case the DB backups are deleted from the DB Backup Management System and the VM is expired. You can restore the database by copying the RMAN folder and pasting it into the same database folder created in corpnet Backups location. Example: \\corpnet\files\System\Backup\CPE\LKP\UserBackups\Backup1\LKPDB123_S123456

Now you can use the DB Backup Management System to restore the database. Please remember to delete the DB Backup from your workfolder once your UPD work is done.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Nimaz Sheik - Just for the information sometimes accessing “DB Backup Management System” can caused you an error, since this is not enabled for some customers.

In such occasions you  can followoup with COS via a ticket to make this enable.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @Nimaz Sheik and @Charith Epasinghe ,

I have also noted few incidents where the “DB Backup Management System”  isn’t registered under the CoS.  Following warning message is displayed in such incidents.

I got them resolved after reporting the incident to CoS requesting them to register the “DB Backup Management System”. This helped to enable taking backups of databases.

Thanks,

Priyanjala

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@Nimasz : Yes I too believe that it is a good option. In addition to that, incase if you take the backup of the Database at the very beginning, there is a high probability to get it deleted since the complete apply update process usually takes longer than 5 days. But in addition, if we can take the database backup before the UPD installation get started, then there might be a good chance that we could end the UPD process within 5 days. This not a very reliable option, because it has risks as well (If someone changes the database accidently during the apply update process, then we do not have a way to recover the DB). But we can give this option a try too..