• 17 May 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
  • Sidekick (Partner)
  • 59 replies

Hi experts,

Background
I am trying to make an authenticated call to an external resource from FSM. The authentication used is OAuth2 and the the data consumed and returned is in json. I initially attempted this using a routing rule with OAuth2ExtractHandler and JsonOutboundConnector, which is not working as the token extraction fails (I raised this here) . Now I’m trying a different approach.

• I make a dummy map to create a call to the authentication endpoint to retrieve the token.
  • Then I store the token as a custom app param. 
  • I use the above custom param (which bears the token) to send authorized calls to resources. 

Problem

I created the dummy map and routing rule as following,

This successfully gets the authentication token as following,

I created a custom app param and I’m trying to save the above retrieved token as the param value below

I tried the following approaches,

1. XML message in the process

As you can see I’ve used jsonpath to extract the access_token from the response, but this doesn’t extract the value as expected

2. I tried using a mapping function

this results in the following error,

If I just pass the {response} to the function(without filtering the jsonpath), the param value ends up being updated as empty.

3. I tried using the inbound map to capture the response,

This doesn’t update the cust app param record either. Perhaps the inbound map can only pick up xml responses?

So, Is there any way I could achieve what I’m aiming for?
Thanks in advance!

P.S : Apologies for the length of the post, I wanted to give as much information as possible.

icon

Best answer by Saranga Amaraweera 17 May 2021, 16:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @Miraj ,

Are you using JSON outbound connector? Is there any possibility for you to switch to XML outbound messages instead of JSON because outbound responses capturing using inbound maps will only work for XML formatted responses. Seems like you will need a customization for this if you’re using JSON. (Not 100% sure)

You may refer this thread for more information.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Miraj,

Did you find a solution for this at all.

I think I have a similar issue where by the outbound message is using the JSON Connector, and the response is in JSON format.

The result contains a token that I want to capture and store in a table for later use.

I have several other processes where i’m capturing a XML response and mapping the data back to use again. But with JSON I am hitting a dead end.

Cheers Ady

cc @Saranga Amaraweera 

I am not able to view the post you copied above. Would that help me at all?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@AdrianEgley 

Hi Adrian,

I’m afraid right now there’s no way (out of the box) to parse JSON responses within the FSM solution. After trying various approaches as shown above, I had to resort to asking the resource owners to send me an xml instead.

In my case, I got them to return an xml based on a header (Note this works only from FSM 6 U11 and onwards, previous versions don’t capture this header)

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Miraj 

Thanks for the reply.

I think in the meantime I have figured a solution for what I need.

Don’t think it’s great but using a Business Rule on the response I can use the perform_exec_db_edit to update the record I need.

On the Integration Log Detail I used a function in SQL called JSON_VALUE to extract the data in the response. This can then but used in an update statement to update the record I want to store the token against. Using data in both the transaction input and result you’re able to extract whatever is required.

Ady

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@AdrianEgley 

That’s great!

If it’s not too much trouble, would you be able to share some screenshots (or email to miraj.mohajireen@opportunitybox.com.au) of the setup you have.

Cheers,
Miraj

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Sure, 

I’ll try to explain here.

This is the response I was getting from the API.

{

"policyValidationToken": "FTNc5gBvvNJxEa9RjEdNbzqBa",

"vrn": "ABC123",

"axaPolicyNumber": "300201477",

"brokerPolicyNumber": null,

"glassCoverExists": "True",

"glassReplacementExcess": "75.00",

"glassRepairExcess": "15.00",

"policyStartDate": "2021-05-26T10:02:00Z",

"policyEndDate": "2022-05-26T00:00:00Z",

"brandName": "AXA-Direct",

"policyHolderSurname": "Test",

"policyHolderFirstName": "User",

"vehicleMake": "Ford",

"vehicleModel": "Fiesta",

"postCode": "KT11 1HY",

"address": "74 Portsmouth Road, Cobham, Surrey, KT11 1HY"

}

Essentially to start with I just need the policyValidationToken, and put that against a table associated with the Request.

I have a XML basic business rule running on the Integration Log.

But the XML being posted is;

<perform_exec_db_edit>
  <parameters>
    <sql_command>
update aw_product_policy_account_info
set authorization_code = (select JSON_VALUE(transaction_result,'$.policyValidationToken') from integration_log_detail where run_id = '@expression[integration_log.run_id]' )
where request_id = (select JSON_VALUE(transaction_input,'$.validatePolicy.RequestID')from integration_log_detail where run_id = '@expression[integration_log.run_id]')

</sql_command>
  </parameters>
</perform_exec_db_edit>

The JSON_VALUE is used to just get the data in the response I need.

select JSON_VALUE(transaction_result,'$.policyValidationToken') from integration_log_detail

The function is pretty self-explanatory, and that is used in both the set and where clauses to get the token and also update the correct request_id.

Hope that helps

Ady 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@AdrianEgley Lovely. This is a neat workaround.
Thanks a lot for sharing