How can I improve stakeholder communication and task prioritization in large-scale projects?

• 30 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I'm currently working on a complex project that involves multiple teams and stakeholders. While I have some experience in project management, I'm facing specific challenges that I'd like to address. Can anyone provide insights on effective strategies for stakeholder communication and engagement in large-scale projects? Additionally, how do you manage and prioritize tasks across multiple teams to ensure project success? Any real-life examples or best practices would be greatly appreciated as I'm looking to enhance my project management skills and overcome these challenges.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Effective stakeholder management all start with getting the basics rights; Correct Planning, Timely information and effective project follow up.

• Get the users to use IFS Cloud in the most integrated manner
  • Use the lobbies and centrals to communicate project information
  • Connect you IFS Cloud to a reporting tool like Power BI to create effective/meaningfull report on a tactical and strategic level.

This are the big building blocks for effective stakeholder management, having basic IFS project management functionality already typically improves the current way of working (MS Project or Excel). Don’t directly expect you can elevate all the processes within the organization at once, but with IFS you’re on the right track.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Recommendations

Create Steering Committee w/Project Sponsor

The most important thing in my experience is having a Steering Committee of high-level leadership that represents the most impacted stakeholders with a Project Sponsor designated who has a great deal of interest in the outcomes. The steerco members must be committed to the project and will have to make difficult choices regarding scope, priorities, timing, and costs.

Meet with Steerco Frequently

You can meet with the Steering Committee periodically to provide updates and request guidance. If things are going well then monthly might be enough. If there are issues, then should begin meeting weekly or more frequently as needed. Ultimately, they should make the go/no-go decision based on BPO recommendations.

Communications Plan

I would suggest creating a communication plans that includes the messages, frequency, channel, audience, etc. and have have a Steering Committee approve this. This would normally go along with a project charter that includes the project scope, roles, org chart, measures of success, approach, project plan etc. It can be in a PowerPoint for maximum usability in communicating with steerco and project team members.

I would be glad to discuss if that would help. Let me know. chris.rundell@coviacorp.com.

Badge +1

This is the time to learn more about Project Management.