Question

Work Task Template External planning

• 9 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

We are currently working on upgrading from IFS 9 to IFS 10 EE (update 11 currently). I want to make sure that we always have a resource group connected to the work tasks that are generated so I am trying to figure out the best way to use work task templates (service work with most of the time one task per WO). Many of our work orders/work tasks are generated to have an outside contractor actually get a PO from us to do the work on site. We would use the internal resource groups for who needs to handle the call internally until completion. I found another thread that allowed me to understand that I can use a Non-inventory Purchase part to be able to automatically start a requisition, but I am trying to understand what the planning of External would be otherwise. We normally have been using a non-inventory part for our labor to contractors because the price is always changing due to scopes.

I originally set this template up as line two was simply set up under planning and external manually as the hope to get a requisition to create, but then added line three by using a non-inventory part at 0.00. Now when I use this template the only planned cost is the $300.00 line. What is that line supposed to be for if not a no-part PO?

I also added a budget to this task that doesn’t show up when used either.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Engel,

As I understood, the issue mentioned here is that you are not getting the budget updated when you update the planned cost for a No Part Material planning line in the work task template. In order to confirm that, I followed the same test plan in the IFS  APP10 UPD11 environment as below.

1. Created a work task template and a material requirement is added for a Non Inventory purchase part where the purchase price is 0.

Purchase part with 0 price

Material planning line
Planned cost =0
  1.  Then under ‘Valid for sites’> ‘Planning tab’  planned cost is updated to 200

However, as you can see in the below screen-print planned cost has updated in the budget tab as well.

Budget tab

Therefore, Could you please verify whether the above flow is what you have followed. If it is different, kindly provide more information on the flow you are following. :slight_smile:

Thanks & Best regards,

Nethmini

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Yes, that is what I did that I am seeing on this template. Just like you, I used a non-inventory purchase part at $0.00 and updated the price to $400 in the site tab. The budget screen only shows the $300 external planning line that is not attached to the “part”. The Planning tab, does show both external costs though. And when the template is used on a work order, I only show the budget of $300.00

and have three lines of planning, but the line associated with the $0.00 “part” is at $0.00 still.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Courtney,

You are correct. When testing this in update 11 I get a message that says my purchase part “Freight” is zero as soon as I attach the template. The cost I put in on the site feature did not update to the work task.

@Nethmini Kosvinna I followed your example steps when recreating but I have noticed many issues in updates 10 and 11 so I believe this is an update issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

HI @courtney.engel ,

In APP10 the Budget costs entered in the planning side (PM Action or Work Task Template) is to be seen as a rough estimate of costs and these figures will only be stored locally on the PM Action or Work Task Template themselves. Therefore , that is why the budget cost you entered in work task template is not transferred to Prepare Work Order>Budget tab.

However,planned cost’ rows are based on the planned resources connected to the tasks on the PM Action or WO. A WO can contain tasks from several PM Actions, Work Task Templates, as well as manually added Work Tasks. All the costs associated with each Work Task will then be represented in the Planned Cost column in the Budget. However, in the above mentioned scenario the confusion arise as the system allows the user to edit the planned cost that is connected to a Purchase part.

If we compare APP9 with APP10,

APP9

• If you add a pure purchase part in Sep Std Job/Material tab, this line will show up as an External line in Sep Std Job/Planning tab. Planned Cost value is not editable for this line.
This is not editable
  • If you add a manual External line in Sep Std Job/Planning tab. Planned Cost value will be editable for this line.
Manually added External line-planned cost can be edited

Here in the Planning tab you distinguish between if an External line is manually added in Planning tab or if it comes from the Material tab.

APP10  

• If you add a pure purchase part in WTT/Material tab, this line will show up as an External line in WTT/Planning tab. Planned Cost value is editable for this line.
  • If you add a manual External line in WTT/Planning tab. Planned Cost value will be editable for this line.

Allowing to edit the planned cost that is connected to a purchase part is a fault in the system here. Therefore, could you please raise a case to IFS (Maintenance Product)  as this needs to be further investigated and reported to IFS R&D.

Thanks & Best regards,

Nethmini

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thank you Nethmini, I can log that for you guys. I think my last question with this then is can the template be used to auto create a No Part requisition for the external costs since you should not be able to edit a purchase part cost? I cannot get a Purchase Requisition header to create for the no-part external costs with anything that I have tried yet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi @courtney.engel ,

Unfortunately is no option to create a No Part Requisition automatically using a template. 

Thanks,

Nethmini