Solved

Split Cost

• 9 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Can someone explain to me how the cost of a part gets divided if we chose ‘Split Cost’? I am trying to receive into inventory a part that was found during counting. 

Help says ‘The total cost will be split up into cost detail lines in accordance with the settings in IFS/Costing.’  - if you can explain with breakdown of the cost, that’ll help

icon

Best answer by ANMASL 10 August 2021, 00:09

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi,

In this case, the split cost will split the total cost per unit amongst lines in the existing structure.

In addition to that you can use “Split Costs” option separately to split the selected cost line which is connected to a sales line.

Here you can split costs by;

• Duplicating the chosen cost line
  • Changing the cost type and/or position part
  • Splitting the quantity, i.e., number of hours utilized or quantity spent for the cost type

However, the split quantity must be equal to the original quantity of the selected cost line. Likewise, the split cost amount must be equal to the original cost amount of the selected cost line.

When you click OK, the current sales line is removed and the old cost line will be replaced with the split cost lines. The new split sales lines will only be generated during the next application of the agreement.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Regards,

Dasuni

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Dasuni Samarakoon , I am referring to ‘Count Per Inventory Part’ in IFS only. So shall we focus on Sales only after clarifying this please? Pardon my level of expertise in this area, if you can highlight with an example in IFS, it will help. 

1. What’s the existing structure you are referring to? (I do get a message saying the existing structure will be lost when I spilt cost)
  2. How does it get split exactly? 

If you can clarify that - it will be great. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Also tagging @ThushAsanka since I saw an explanation from him for a similar topic in this thread. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @EnzoFerrari,

In the ‘Count Per Inventory Part’ the total cost will be split into cost detail lines in accordance with the settings in IFS/Costing. 

When using the Split Cost feature:

1. Click Split Cost.
  2. In the Split Costs into Details dialog box that opens, enter a value in the Total Unit Cost field.
  3. Click OK. - After this step the total cost will be split into cost detail lines in accordance with the settings in IFS/Costing as mentioned.

Finally, if the counting result did not meet the specified limits, a message is displayed that it has been rejected and that approval is necessary.

Best Regards,

Dasuni

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Enzo,

When you are receiving a part in to inventory, that has no cost calculated and copied to cost set one, then system pops up this dialog for you to define cost. 2 options are possible

1- Enter buckets and cost values

2-Use split cost

If you use split cost  for a manufactured part, system selects cost buckets from structure/routing and cost values  from work centers and labour classes according  the same ratio of costs in work centers/labor classes and material cost.

example.

Assume you have one operation with a work center cost 500, OH 1 is 50 and OH 2 is 5, then ratio is 100:10:1, so buckets 300: 321: 322 splits in to this ratio from the given cost value by you in cost split.

If your material cost is 10 then its 2% of your work center cost.

When using split cost, if you enter total unit cost as 100, then breakdown is as follows.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Best regards.
Anju

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@EnzoFerrari , Apologies that I have no idea on what Split Cost actually does in Define Cost Structure activity.

However, I think the explanation provided by @ANMASL describes it clearly. Thank you Anju.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@ANMASL Thanks a lot for the explanation. So what I understand is ‘Split Cost’ is mainly intended for manufactured parts where cost buckets and cost values are defined. All this time I was playing with Purchase parts since we really don't use the manufacturing component in IFS. 

I think in my case, all I have to do is select the correct cost bucket, enter zero as the cost / unit and click ok without thinking about ‘split cost’ right? I know we always use the cost bucket 110.