Solved

Hyperlink in Document Revision

• 8 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Customer (Apps10 EE) wants to create a document revision without a file and in a field on the document revision enter a link to an external location where the file will reside. I recall doing this before custom fields were readily available, but I cannot recall where in the document revision the link was entered. Anybody have experience with this without using a custom field?

icon

Best answer by Dilini Arandara 8 April 2021, 18:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You might be able to do this by keeping the URL in some field on the document, and use a macro to open the URL. A dummy file needs to be checked in to the document. Then the user can access into each link manually or to make ease the process you can setup a macro that will open the included url in that custom field, else you don’t have to create a custom field unless you want a separate section to save the url or link. You can use any field that does not affect the other data to store the link. Hope this will be helpful. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Why would there need to be a dummy file connected to the document revision record?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@matt.watters  The View option on Document revisions will get enabled only if a file is checked in. So, if you have a dummy file checked in & an appropriate macro is set up for the “View” process, then when you need to view it, you can just click “view” button, then via the macro you will be able to open the url or link to the external location, which you have saved on an appropriate field. Hope this is clear. 

Best Regards,

Dilini

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@matt.watters You might be able to achieve what you want by

1. simply creating links [.url files] or shortcuts [.lnk files] to the external files
  2. set up above file extensions as accepted Files types in Docman (Basic Data/EDM Basic)
  3. and finally check in the links/shortcuts created in step 1!
  4. Now you can simply click the View button to see the external file
    (Note! Clicking Edit will check out the link/shortcut file itself and not the external file. But what I assume from your use case you would not expect to maintain/edit the files from IFS anyway.)

/Erik

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Here is a small recording on how to keep links to files/documents in other systems in IFS Cloud:

explorer_2024-04-16_15-53-58.mp4

It seems like I cannot make Chrome open .url files automatically (perhaps a security feature) but with the Aurena Agent enabled you can:

explorer_2024-04-16_15-57-19.mp4

Enjoy!