Question

Customer Order Reservations

• 11 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello,

With all the supply chain disruptions, we have a large backlog of customer orders.  This situation has our customer care team in need to understand how IFS goes through the logic of reserving customer orders. 

There seems to be circumstances were a specific order for a specific part is not reserving when it should because of the supply is now available.  I figure it has to do much with the “many” dates on a customer order line. 

Anyway, does anyone have a clear document or logical decision tree explaining how customer order reservations work in IFS.  We are on Apps9, update 16.  

Thanks!!

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@svrmhuebner, there is some issue in attaching documents to replies today due to some reason. 

However, go to Site and press F1 and then navigate to > Site/Extended Site Info/Inventory/Automatic Reservation in the help documentation. Hope this will help you :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @svrmhuebner ,

Here’s a screenshot of the automatic reservation priorities you would need to configure to properly setup auto reservations.  As @Vimukthi Mahakumbura say you will want to read the F1 documentation.  https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/MaintainInventory/ActivityDefineAutomaticReservation.htm?StandAlone=true 

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thank you for the replies, but we do not have the Automatic Reservation tab on our Site record.  We are on Apps 9.  I think what you are referring to is only in Apps 10? 

Thanks,

Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Hi Mark,

Yes, the aforementioned info won’t help you.  In short, with Apps 9, overdue orders will kill you with Auto Reservations on.  You will have a very hard time delivering the order you think has priority, because the IFS dates will drive things based on oldest order but won’t realize the entire order isn’t complete and you don’t want to deliver that one.

We’ve turned auto-reservations off (V9 UPD 13) partially for this reason.  Manufacturing spends too much time un-reserving order A which is older because they can deliver order B which is newer because of the different part mix.

Badge +1

Hey Shawn,

is there a way to turn off the ‘Oldest order’-rule in IFSAPP10 that you’re aware off? 

Or do we manually go over each order based on Due Date when reserving as a manual work-around? 

Sincerely,

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@David Van Belle 

Sorry, I’m not familiar enough with the additions to IFSAPP10 to answer that question accurately.  From experience in V9 though, the algorithm just doesn’t play well with overdue orders, it kind of assumes that you always want to operate FIFO.  Additionally, when there are multiple demands for the same part, it has no way of discerning which is the priority order if the date doesn’t drive that.  I don’t know if the Order Priority functionality can also have an effect on the reservation process or not.  Hopefully someone else with V10 experience in this specific area can comment.