Question

Setting default values via workflow

• 27 July 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi,

I want to put a default value in a screen field BEFORE the record is saved. Means, the workflow should be executed when the user hits the “+” or “Save” button and the value should put into a defined screen field and saved together with the record. I don’t want to insert/update an already stored record (which I know is possible via calling the projection) because it is a mandatory field and therefore this way is not possible.

Any possibilities?

Best Regards

Stefan

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Please check the below answer for the below community thread
Setting Default Values in Aurena | IFS Community

“I hope you are referring to drafting records and templates; this has been addressed to R&D as Andre mentioned and the last I could get was that it has been added to the backlog but not been assigned to a release yet. Hence hopeful that that would be available in future.

• Draft records and templates missing - This is a known gap, in the backlog for future roadmap but not assigned to a release yet. “

Hope this info helps.

-Kelum

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Kelum,

thanks a lot!

I am looking for a bit more as only draft records and template. I want to set a field value based on conditions before the record is stored. I think this will not be possible with templates also when they are implemented. But this would perfectly fit into the new workflow concept, where I can already attach a process before the projection execution. 

Best Regards

Stefan

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Stefan - not sure if you have solved this in the interim (or moved on), but curious if you tried a series of gates evaluating if the field in question contains your desired values (or is not null if the only requirement is to have something).  

For instance, I just created a workflow we intend to use with project approvals in an upcoming implementation.  This process looks to confirm:

1. that a certain custom field is checked signaling a project is ready for review  (== true)
  2. that a user is in a certain person group (used to confirm they’re allowed to approve the project),

Only if those two conditions are true will the process end successfully, at which point the project moves to an approved status.  If either fails, then the user receives a message noting the type of failure.

As I’ve been scouring these posts for ideas, figured I’d contribute in case it helps you or someone else!

Thanks,

Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

A long shot, but I would prepare a user form that will contain the default value. Just before the end of the workflow a copy of the default value will be set to the mandatory field of which you want to set the value.

I've not yet encountered this scenario so have no experience if it will work (at this moment I'm really missing how the logic of a workflow works).

@adixon : is the workflow that you showed already up and running? I see two tasks that have no icon in the upper left corner, so they are not defined yet? I'm interested in the content of task 'Evaluate Results’. Knowing that, it might help me in my workflow struggles.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @eqbstal  - the evaluate results boxes in my workflow are basically helping to set variables for comparison in the gateway paths.  It is up and running in our development environment and we expect to test more fully in the coming week.

The first one takes the current user ID and sets it as a variable called Person:

I then used this to do a read from the PersonGroupHandling projection, looking to read members of a specific group who have that personID:

The “Evaluate Results” checks to see if the resultant collection variable has that person as its only member (there either should be a single record if that person is in the group or no records if the person is not in the group).  That evaluation is dropped into a variable called “GroupCheck”:

The gateway paths that follow look to see if this evaluates to true (or not) - here is the “In Person Group” path:

I have this workflow firing when a user tries to approve a project on the ProjectDefinitionHandling projection:

Hope this helps you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Does anyone has a simple workflow to add a default value for a fields when you create a record? for an example when you create a customer order or a purchase order?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@ashenfdo have you checked out this post?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Technical Outlaws  Hi thank you. I found it after I posted the comment it. I was following it and having troubles understanding the call name mentioned here.

In my environment I only see these

BR,

Ashen