Solved

Print Manager Status: Error (Could not open the specified printer.)

• 12 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +14

Hi All,

I’m trying to add a new logical printer to the APP75 application.

1. Defined new printer in Logical Printers
  2. I have modified the ifs-printagent-config.xml file with the new printer.
  3. Stopped and started print agent service.
  4. stopped and added the new logical printer into the ‘Application Server Task - Processing Print Job’ and then started.

When I print a report using Order report, I can see a new print job created in the Print Manager window with the status ‘REMOTE_WORKING’.

But after a few seconds status will change to ‘ERROR’ status.

PDFL Exception: 0x40040007:Could not open the specified printer.

I could see the below lines in the log file.

How can I verify this printer is connected/ shared correctly?

Kindly advise me.

Thank you in Advance.

icon

Best answer by Charith Epitawatta 13 October 2022, 19:39

View original

6 replies

Badge +14

Hi All,

I really appreciate it if I can know how to verify a printer is connected or shared correctly with the print server where the print agent lives.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @MitDenukN,

As you have suspected, this error indicates that there was a problem where the IFS Print Agent could not communicate with the physical printer that it is configured for.

• Check that the printer is turned on and verify that you can print directly to the printer from the Print Agent host machine. You should login to the machine as the Operating System user that is running the Print Agent service when doing this. You can check the Operating System user the Print Agent service is running as from Windows Services(RMB → go to properties and check ‘Log On’ tab). 
  • Check whether relevant printer and the drivers for the printer are installed on the Print Agent host machine.
  • Verify that you do not have multiple Print Agents that are configured to use the same IFS Logical Printer.  Same Logical Printer should not exist in 2 Print Agents.
  • Verify that there are no intermittent networking issues or networking glitches.  This error could occur if there is a short break in the network connection between the IFS Print Agent and target physical printer.

Hope this helps!

Badge +14

Hi @Charith Epitawatta, I appreciate your response and all the suggestions.

I will check those and get back to you.

Thanks again!

Badge +14

Hi @Charith Epitawatta,  I noticed that the relevant drivers for the printer are not installed on the Print Agent host machine.

This printer is installed on a different server, but still, is it important to install the drivers into the print server?

Could you please confirm this?

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @MitDenukN,

For some printers, the drivers will be picked automatically, but if you get an issue like this, printer drivers need to be installed on the Print Agent host. 

Badge +14

@Charith Epitawatta, Thank you so much for your valuable input 😊