Solved

Not able to access custom REST API from Postman

• 26 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

I am trying new custom API through IFS Developer Studio for IFS Cloud project. Once it is deployed properly, able to see it in API explorer and able to call it in web browser and got proper response, where as if I browse the same API throguh Postman, got 401 Unauthorized error. Request Header what I am passing is, Basic authenticaion with content type. 

Could anyone had faced same issue and what is the workaround for this?

Thanks

Venkat

icon

Best answer by Rifki Razick 26 September 2022, 06:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi,

in IFS Cloud release Basic Authentication is no longer supported. Please use OAuth 2.0 instead and it will work.

Best regards

Heinz

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @vsraman85 

IFS Cloud does not support Basic Authentication by default. Due to security reasons it is not recommended to be enabled in the Cloud either. Instead IFS Cloud APIs should be consumed using the more secure token based OAuth protocol. 

The reason why the API call succeeds in your browser is because you have logged into the IFS Cloud UI using your browser which does all the token handling behind the scenes. This makes it available for other browser tabs in the current session. (i.e. you will not be able to do this in an incognito tab)

But if you are using a tool like Postman you need to fetch the tokens yourself prior to making the API call. This is described well in documentation  here. documentation https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/030_administration/010_security/040_iam_settings/050_authentication_for_integrations/030_direct_access_grants/#example_in_postman_1

Regards,

/Rifki

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @vsraman85 

IFS Cloud does not support Basic Authentication by default. Due to security reasons it is not recommended to be enabled in the Cloud either. Instead IFS Cloud APIs should be consumed using the more secure token based OAuth protocol. 

The reason why the API call succeeds in your browser is because you have logged into the IFS Cloud UI using your browser which does all the token handling behind the scenes. This makes it available for other browser tabs in the current session. (i.e. you will not be able to do this in an incognito tab)

But if you are using a tool like Postman you need to fetch the tokens yourself prior to making the API call. This is described well in documentation  here. documentation https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/030_administration/010_security/040_iam_settings/050_authentication_for_integrations/030_direct_access_grants/#example_in_postman_1

Regards,

/Rifki

Hi Rifki, Thanks for the info. Will try as per the given documnet lik.