Question

Can you connect from PowerBI using IFS Rest APIs and Service Account User?

• 9 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi,

I can nicely call the Rest API layer using Postman, but how is this done using Power BI? I guess the ultimate target would be calling the Rest API layer using OData protocol and the Service Account authentication. What are your experiences in this domain, any success and any hands on documentation? The documentation on PowerBI that I have managed to find focuses on public OData sources , with no authentication or authentication using Windows 365.

Jukka

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Afifa Is this something you can answer ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Interested in this too, as my team are working with the same challenge

Badge +1

we are facing the same challenge ;-)

Badge

I think this is an interesting question but will this type of connection allow use of the star schema models? Can you post the documentation you found regarding Power BI on public data sources for our reference?

Badge +3

Should be able to, I have done it with power bi and other api sources that return json. Never tried with IFS.

Have to transform and expand the columns after you pull it like link here, and will vary depending on the hierarchical structure of the json you are pulling.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Using-a-REST-API-as-a-data-source/td-p/50400

What is the use of this though, and what problem would it solve that you can’t get using Power BI and Oracle db? This is my usual method.

Badge

Can you really connect to the Oracle db with IFS Cloud bpfrenchak?

Badge +3

Addomaby I haven’t used IFS Cloud yet, but seems like it from these posts. Would be a huge drawback to cloud if you couldn’t.