Solved

22R2 IFS Cloud Core Code version is 22R2-EA

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,
DS start giving me Question with mismatch of target version after switching on 22R2-GA version, after DS finally start support it. 

Reason is, that IFS Cloud core files are marked as 22R2-EA.

Does it mean, that our environments are on EA and not on GA?
Or only CoreSources archive are wrong?
Are there some differences between GA and EA?
Or it is only badly marked?

There is no information about EA / GA version.

New Tool Features - Technical Documentation For IFS Cloud

BR

icon

Best answer by Andreas Dahllöf 21 December 2022, 13:41

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I would suspect this has to do with the very poor revision control that IFS has been practicing with the release of new versions of Cloud.

If you pick up 22R2 before the official release date and have access to the files, it is the EA version, which I believe is Early Adopter or Early Access, something like that.

If you pick up 22R2 on the official release date, then it should be the GA version, which is General Availability or similar.

However, if you have modules that require additional files (tax interface, freight interface, credit card interface, or a few others), sometimes these files are not checked in by the release date for the GA version.  They get added in later, but without any marking that the files are now different.  if you need one of these later modules, you actually have to put in a case and get someone at IFS to verify if all of the files you need are available.

The whole premise of the Build Place and self-service for an evergreen model has just not worked out well for us because we find that IFS don’t follow their own rules and do a very poor job of revision control and proper marking of the files.

If you are having this mis-match issue, I believe that your only remedy is to raise a case with IFS and get them to resolve the file mis-match.  We had to do the same with 22R2 and it took well over a month for them to get it sorted out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @ShawnBerk,

Thanks for recommendation, I will definitely create case to check what version we really have.

I asked IFS, when SU was available before scheduled Release date, if is safe to apply it. But in Community I never get response. And in Case it was confirmed late - after official release date.
Anyway, I for sure always wait with SU application to official date.

BR

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @InfFilipV 

This is not an error, this is a new functionality we have introduced in the tool to notify developers if there is a mismatch between the target version set in the project and the target version of the file in the checkout.

In this case your project target version is set to 22R2-GA, but the target version files in the workspace is 22R2-EA. That is the reason for getting this message in the tool. If you are fine to go ahead just click YES.

Please refer the sectionMultiple Track support in DevStudio (Target version and DB change notification)” in https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/22r1/060_development/050_development_tools/002_developer_studio/030_reference/920_new_tool_features/

Best Regards

Harshini

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @hamalk,

I downloaded Core sources from BP and they are marked as 22R2-EA. We do not want this version, we expect, that our BuildPlace projects are on 22R2-GA.

We want them on 22R2-GA.

So there is error. Not in DS but in BP or in process of application of RU / SU.

BR

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@InfFilipV 

make sure you are pointing to the correct core code files folder in the project properties 

first check the version of the CORE source code given in above folder path “Core files” found in fndbas/build/build.properties. If it is GA then, the tool should not popped up this message. If it’s something else then you need to check the downloaded zip file. if the zip file is incorrect need to contact the release management team. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Daham ,  can you take a look on this issue please

/Harshini

Badge +1

@hamalk, I this needs to be directed to ALE team. We do not directly expose our release repos to customers/partners.  

Badge +1

In the Release Repository 22.2.0 is the correct tag for GA. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@Daham 

But is that the version that was released on 20 Oct without the tax, freight, and credit card interface?

What is the designation when the credit card files were added about a week later?

What was the final designation given when all of the interface files were finally checked in - which was more than two weeks after the release announced at Unleashed - but which was actually not complete?

Badge +1

I’m sorry I have no idea about functionality but by guessing the next release we did was 22.2.1

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Chamilka @Naleen Can you please take a look on this? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

This is a tool only check that was introduced to remind about the target version property setting on the project.
There is one check that checks the project target version against the build.properties file in fndbas, and one check that checks the project target version against the database.

For the database, the Service update level is not checked, and it seems we need to ease up on that also for the check against the fndbas folder setting, since it is not updated if the codegenerator has not changed between 2 service updates, eg, 22R2-EA and 22R2-GA.

In the meantime, if this check is incorrect, or bothering you in anyway, you can disable it in:
Tools -> Options -> IFS Options -> Target Version Check

Best Regards Andreas

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @Andreas Dahllöf ,
so answers to my questions

Does it mean, that our environments are on EA and not on GA?
Or only CoreSources archive are wrong?
Are there some differences between GA and EA?
Or it is only badly marked?

Are:

1. No, it is not version of code, but version of Code Generation, what was in 22.2.2 still 22R2-EA, what could be confusing
  2. They are correct
  3. In code yes, but this refers to version of Code Generation, what was not changed
  4. it is correct.

You should rename it event if there are no changes - it is unnecessarily confusing.

Am I right?

I want this confirmed, because I do not ask about problem in DS, but in Core Sources in BP.
And if it is incorrect, then that is very big issue.

BR
Filip

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi,

Yes, the answers you put are correct.

When a new version of the code generator is released, the build.properties gets changed. So the value in build.properties only reflects the codegeneration engine version, not the version of the source code. The codegenerator engine can remain unchanged between EA and GA, like in this case.

We could consider changing the version even if there are no changes, but there could be implications. In general we try to not deliver a codegenerator when not needed, since all the files has to be regenerated.

Now when this value is used by this Developer Studio check, in combination with downloading the source code files, it becomes more visible, but the value is really related to our internal process.

Best Regards Andreas

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @InfFilipV 

This is now addressed in the latest tool version available in Developer portal

Version: 22.2.9262 or above.

Better check for tool updates and update the tool

thanks

Harshini