Solved

How to use the local android file system to attach files to a task

• 28 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 21 replies

Unable to locate any files within the android file system to attach files to a task, 

FSM 6u24 Android 13

icon

Best answer by roklde 28 September 2023, 17:16

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi, did you give the app the required / requested permissions?

Best regards
Roman

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi, did you give the app the required / requested permissions?

Best regards
Roman

Yes, It does request permission to use the location while the app is running. One thing I did notice was in the AndroidManifest.xml 

For the location services no max SDK level is listed, so the app prompts to request that permission upon opening, additionally no max SDK level is listed so it is forward compatible as SDK levels are updated with android releases.

<uses-permission    android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" />

From my understanding this would mean the App no longer requests permissions after the listed SDK level, so for android 13 users (SDK version 33) no prompt or ability is available to assign manually, or request that permission when the application is opened for the following permission sets (and a few more). This would properly explain not being able to access internal storage, save attachments locally or pull a PDF from the phones storage to be used as an attachment. 

<uses-permission    android:name="android.permission.MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"    android:minSdkVersion="30"    android:maxSdkVersion="30" />

<uses-permission    android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE"    android:maxSdkVersion="30" />

<uses-permission    android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"    android:maxSdkVersion="30" /><uses-permission    android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"    android:maxSdkVersion="29" />

Let me know your thoughts on the next steps

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

@ssabo Hi, please check this thread for more information on the SDK-level:

Best regards
Roman​​​​​​​

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

See below

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Best regards
Roman

This mentions that the SDK level is not setup for Android 14, 

The Manifest file show the permission requests will not be presented to users of android 12 or 13, which to my knowledge are currently supported releases, breaking the ability to attach files from local storage

SDK Platform release notes  |  Android Studio  |  Android Developers

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Best regards
Roman

Were you able to review the last reply?

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

@ssabo sorry, for the late reply! Yes, FSM6U24 supports Android 7 through 13. I just tried to access the internal storage with FSM6U25 with my Android 12 phone - all working fine! I know, it’s not the same setup as yours but I would assume this should work with your FSM version / Android version as well. 

I’m not sure regarding the manifest, as I’m not a developer. Have you tested this on other FSM version / Android version combinations?

EDIT: Storage permissions aren’t provided explicitly for the App.

Best regards
Roman

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@ssabo sorry, for the late reply! Yes, FSM6U24 supports Android 7 through 13. I just tried to access the internal storage with FSM6U25 with my Android 12 phone - all working fine! I know, it’s not the same setup as yours but I would assume this should work with your FSM version / Android version as well. 

I’m not sure regarding the manifest, as I’m not a developer. Have you tested this on other FSM version / Android version combinations?

EDIT: Storage permissions aren’t provided explicitly for the App.

Best regards
Roman

Android SDK > targetSdk will need to be 33+ for new apps and app updates by August 2023.

U24 - 

<uses-permission    android:name="android.permission.MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"    android:minSdkVersion="30"    android:maxSdkVersion="30" />

<uses-permission    android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE"    android:maxSdkVersion="30" />

<uses-permission    android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"    android:maxSdkVersion="30" /><uses-permission    android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"    android:maxSdkVersion="29" />

I believe some android devices have already moved to this API level 33 on android 13, so the permissions are never requested. 

API Levels | Android versions, SDK/API levels, version codes, codenames, and cumulative usage

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

@ssabo I think you should raise this with our Support to get their view on this.

Best regards
Roman

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

@ssabo fyi:

Best regards
Roman​​​​​​​