Solved

Document Management Macros Issue

• 19 April 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Good afternoon,

I’m trying to set up macros for a customer environment and I’m unable to make it work for a customer environment in cloud. I’ll list out the bullet points of steps followed to see if anyone could help out:

• Downloaded and installed IFS Aurena Extension (for correct environment)
  • Created new Doc Class
  • Created Document Macro Blocks 

• Created Document Macros:

• Entered the Object Attributes for Macros: 

• Copied Macros into Doc Class Management page (checkin, checkout, createnew)

• Created Checkin, Checkout and Createnew in Doc Class Process Action with macro option: RunIfOnlyOne (tried SelectAndRun too) - and Name Files Using: Force Document Title and Name.

• Made sure that on Object Connections, the Logical Unit contains the “DocReferenceObject”

• Then when creating a document from the LU chosen, and opening the Word Doc (doing it for Word07 - Docx), and clicking on: Insert > Quick Part > Document Information > DocProperty

After following those steps, I am unable to see the IFS Document and Object Attributes from the system. Does anyone know if there are any steps I have missed? 

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Eric

icon

Best answer by Amila Samarasinghe 20 April 2023, 10:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @eric.vives 

In the last step when you mention “Then when creating a document from the LU chosen, and opening the Word Doc”, I believe you are trying to create a document template by creating a new document from the attachment panel of the desired object and then edit the document so that createnew macro will be executed? In order to see those IFS specific object attributes, the macro needs to be run once. 

If at least edit or createnew macro has run and you still cannot see the attributes, then make sure the macro script actually runs by placing some MsgBox calls in the script. Also the last thing to check would be to check the code actually works. If you have copy pasted the code from somewhere and not written by yourself, then there is a high chance that the macro code has some bugs.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello Amila,

Correct I am trying to create a Template but can’t get the macro to run, how can we make it run once so that it starts working?

Also the codes I copied/pasted from a guide to make sure they’re right, so that shouldn’t be an issue. 

Just need to get it to work once so that I can create a template and start running all the macros from word doc, but can’t seem to get it to work. Any ideas on how to do it?

Kind regards,

Eric

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @eric.vives 

If you have set up all the macros for check in, checkout and create new processes correctly, then the macro should run when you edit the document. Check if the main function is given correctly. Also the best and easiest would be to debug the code by putting message boxes. If you copied a code that was working in APPS10 that does not necessarily mean that it is working for IFS cloud as it is. You need to do some twerks to the code. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Had a look with @eric.vives and the issue was that the Aurena agent was not correctly configured for the browser. In chrome we got a weird “Forbidden” error from AA once we try to check in a document (This could be due to recent updates in Chrome) but it worked fine in Edge

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Was the problem with the Chrome extension used by the Aurena Agent?

Badge +1

Hello @eric.vives ,

I have the same question as you, the fields from IFS are not visible in MS Word to be able to create the document template.

I read that the problem comes from the Aurena Agent specially in Chrome but that it works as expected in Edge.

Did you change something else to be able to see the fields in MS Word ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards,

Isabelle

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I read that the problem comes from the Aurena Agent specially in Chrome but that it works as expected in Edge.

I cannot say for sure but that is probably not correct. Once the Aurena Agent is working in Chrome or Edge things should behave the same in both browsers. It can be tested easily by opening the User Settings page in Docman, as described here: https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/23r1/070_remote_deploy/400_installation_options/040_aurena_agent/installation/#how_can_i_verify_if_ifs_aurena_agent_has_been_successfully_installed_and_is_working

Having said that, there might be differences that we have not found, since we are mainly testing with the Chrome browser.

My recommendation, if a macro does not seem to work, is to look at how the macro is written and possibly also how the document file in question looks like. Sometimes there is a deep connection/dependency between the macro and the document file, depending on how it is written. There are older posts here on IFS Community about how to debug macros using message boxes.

I should also mention that writing macros are development/programming. It’s an advanced feature and, if you cannot get a certain thing to work, you probably need to contact a programmer to sort out the issue.

Badge +1

Thanks for you reply @Mathias Dahl.

Everything seems to be correct (Edge and Chrome) after checking with the link of the proposed document but no fields IFS available in Word to be able to create the template.

I continue the investigations…

BR,

Isabelle

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

This macro, developed by an IFS consultant several years ago (it's not an official macro from R&D or even an official macro from IFS, no such ones exist), is very nice when it works but can be hard to get working sometimes.

I recommend you sprinkle the code with message boxes to see if it stops at some point. Have a look at this post that I made sometime back on how to do that:

https://community.ifs.com/document-management-docman-248/a-basic-document-macro-to-build-from-27411

Good luck!