Standing PO

• 17 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 2 replies

Here’s the scenario that I look for IFS to accommodate … thanks so much for the help!!!

A buyer creates a PO … that PO # is provided to a vendor and they then use that same PO number for a specific time period for requests made from a person external to IFS. As this external person emails the vendor with requests (referencing this standing PO) they also copy the buyer who adds the item(s) to the PO. The buyer has the lines received once the vendor confirms the order. As the invoices arrive, the available lines are matched and paid by AP. The lines could be “free form” or with part numbers. 

My ask - Does IFS have a function to leave a PO open until a buyer closes it at the end of the specified time period? … adding, receiving, and invoicing items from that same PO over time.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

The PO will only stay open as long as there is at least one line open on the PO.  If all lines inadvertently get closed, the PO will close.  There isn’t a specific PO type or function to keep it open otherwise.  You could add a dummy line as line 1 either inventory or non-inventory that never gets closed until the Buyer is done with it.  I would suggest a No Part line that has the description - HOLD - Buyer to close only or something equally informative.

Badge +1

Perfect!!!… thank you so much.!!!

Wonder why IFS doesn’t have this option. 

As well, does IFS make a distinction between “receipt-less” and normal PO’s that will natively be received?

Should I make a new topic for this?

An example would be a PO for software.

Thanks again!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Yes, there is a distinction on the way the PO is used.

Part POs or Inventory POs must have a purchase part and supplier for purchase part in order to create the PO lines.  These are expected to have a normal inventory receipt and a supplier invoice as well.

For a software PO or a subscription that doesn’t go on the shelf, there is a No Part tab on the purchase order and purchase requisition, this is where you have an open description field to describe the item being purchased and no part number is required.  That is why I referred to the dummy line as a No Part line.  You can have both on the same PO, though they are not often mixed.  These lines still get received in the same manner, they just don’t get moved to inventory and the No Part line is typically pre-posted to a project or account and cost center for the expense since it won’t get to inventory.  A supplier invoice is still expected too, so the supplier can get paid.

As for why IFS doesn’t have the infinite PO option, it really comes down to the idea of managing inventory and approvals and authorization and the like.  Many companies would never allow a perpetual PO, even if IFS did.  There is another process called Supplier Agreement which allows setting up an agreement to purchase with a supplier, then you can dispense with the approvals and the like each time, just do the setup once.  However, this method results in a different PO number each time, so can take some getting used to for Buyers and Suppliers.

Badge +1

I understand the implications affecting inventory and agree with the thought process of IFS concerning he No Part line … but, in my past use of other MMIS or ERP systems there was a distinct separation of duties where buyers would never receive and as well … receivers would never receive items they did not touch and lay eyes on. Thus the need for a “receiptless PO” (it was a mere checkbox at PO creation) to allow a buyer to purchase something that will never cross the loading dock. 

And yes - EVERYTHING that crossed the dock needed a PO.

Is this something outside of the realm of IFS?

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Ahhh, ok, I slightly misunderstood what you were trying to clarify.  Yes, I wouldn’t expect buyers to do any receiving and segregation of duties and permissions would govern that.  But no, there isn’t anything like the receiptless PO you describe in IFS, everything has to be received - even to the hvac repair bill assuming there was purchase order for it.  There are ways for supplier invoices to be processed without a receipt to match, but not from just the buyer action that I’m aware of.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I think it is better have a look at existing supplier schedule functionality. Basically, we can send schedule repeatedly and work continuously on it. My view is that you may find a way to satisfy your requirement. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I think it is better have a look at existing supplier schedule functionality. Basically, we can send schedule repeatedly and work continuously on it. My view is that you may find a way to satisfy your requirement. 

The problem is….there is no schedule if the demand to the supplier is created with no connection to IFS, it is just an email to the supplier and the buyer.