Solved

How can SA do Contract work in advance of contract start date?

• 9 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Using V15.4

We often have situations where an SA needs to carry out Contract work early, before the contract start date.  In V14, we were not able to set an ETA prior to the contract start date but the SA was able to do the job earlier than the contract start date.  But in V15, it seems the SA is also restricted from doing the work early, which is a problem for us now.

Is there a setting that controls this or is there any other way in V15 that an SA can carry out work in advance of the contract start date?

Thanks

Chris

icon

Best answer by Phil Seifert 17 February 2023, 14:13

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, it should not be possible to start work against a contract that has not started yet.  This is a valid message and only if you want to remove the contract from service order, can they do it early but then this will not be charged against the contract.

Only thing I can think of is to create a similar contract but not have any billing for the objects of service but then any reporting you do would have to group these similar contracts.  Not a good thing in my opinion.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Phil,

There are plenty of times when it can be advantageous to the customer or to us to do the work early and as it is planned PM/Cal work, they are not getting anything extra, that they did not pay for.

Some customer have their systems in constant use, so we need to fit the work into any opportunity that they are between tests, which can be early sometimes.  And we have times when an SA has a cancelled appointment and is nearby, so doing contract work a few days early is a real plus for us.  As I say, this is all planned, pre-paid work so doing that early is not an issue commercially. 

Of course, we could not, nor would want to, do any UM work out of contract period.

In V14, this worked as we needed it to, so it is disappointing that this has been removed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris,

I checked with R&D on this and the response:

We don’t have such functionality. Only Active contracts can be used on orders. Contracts that are not started yet are pending and cannot be used on the orders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, this is not possible as contracts are considered pending prior to the start date as already confirmed by R&D in the reply above.

To do otherwise would be a customization in my opinion… for example allow the work if the ETA date is during the contract coverage period.  I suggest discussing this with your IFS business consultant to see if this can be arranged or done as a change request.  My opinion is if it is done, it should also be developed with a global parameter or perhaps a contract parameter that enables/disables that validation check.

Just my opinion.