Solved

Astea browser asking to reinstall

• 8 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello

Could you tell me if you have experienced this : it’s happen to me one  week ago so i didn’t pay attention, but now a customer is facing the same “issue”

when the customer open his astea browser the system behave as if it has never been installed and ask for to download it again. (for me i have the same “problem” for all Astea Browser whatever the release number or the customer) 

Thanks for your feedback

Rgds

Christophe

icon

Best answer by Phil Seifert 8 September 2023, 10:42

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

HI Christophe,

I have had this happen to me a few times and I was able to resolve on my local client by deleting:

C:\Users\pseifert\AppData\Local\Astea\SUP-VANILLA154-Astea Employee Portal 15.0_pseifert_AppSettings.xml

(change the highlighted text to the appropriate values for your user and environment)

and if present:

C:\Users\pseifert\AppData\Local\Temp\Astea\<same filename as above>

The first file is regenerated the every time you login, the second instance (if present) should not be there after the installation/upgrade.

Once logged in again, it will likely upgrade again which is fine.  Once that is done, choose restart option and log in again.  Hopefully it will not upgrade...

After this, go to a module, open a document, close the document and module, then EXIT the browser.

When I did this, it worked for me.  I can't say it would work in your cases but it is worth a try.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

i Phil thanks for the update but do you know / are you aware of if a recent windows update could have generate the fact that i need to reinstall all my astea browser and our customer has the same “issue”

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Christophe,

No, I am not aware of this nor have heard this might be happening.

I know I had windows updates deployed last week.  I have not had to reinstall any Astea Brower employee portals so far.

To test this for you, I have accessed an employee portal that was v15.1 HF6 and it just upgraded to HF14 (I had not been on that one in a while). Restarted the employee portal, logged in and no update.  Went to service order module, opened record, closed record and module and exited.

Logged in again, it did the update once more which is strange and reproduces what you are encountering but … then followed the steps I gave earlier. 

(Note, when you do these steps, if you had saved login credentials, they will be gone and you have to login again manually.)

After this, the next few times I opened the employee portal, it did NOT do an update.

These steps still seem to work for me.  Checking the Help page shows the Browser Version was updated to 15.1.0.14 in my case which is correct so there will not be further updates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Christophe,

After inquiring internally, there was a mail conversation about Windows Updates causing this problem:

-------------------------------

This article exactly explains the issue caused by the latest Microsoft updates. Astea Browser uses ClickOnce technology. A workaround for this issue suggested in the article is to uninstall the impacted ClickOnce Application and reinstall the application again. Alliance automatically prompts users to reinstall the application and forces the re-installation. 

I’m afraid this article addresses the issue. (KB5028244)

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-22H2#apps-deployed-via-clickonce-might-prompt-for-installation-when-opened

------------------------------

That the issue of ClickOnce happened again after applying KB5029331 preview.
(The attached came from the customer. It's Japanese but you can see the number KB5029331.)

Do you have something known things about the issue?
For example, KB5029331 hasn't resolved the issue by our test result, etc.
Or, we are asking the issue to Microsoft, something like that.

URL for the issue of ClickOnce (It mentions the KB5029331 resolves the issue.)
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-22H2#apps-deployed-via-clickonce-might-prompt-for-installation-when-opened

URL for KB5029331
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/august-22-2023-kb5029331-os-build-19045-3393-preview-9f6c1dbd-0ee6-469b-af24-f9d0bf35ca18
----------------------------

Perhaps these will also help to resolve the issue for the reinstall but the multi-upgrades it looks like my steps above at this point for me.

This did not happen on my client as I was gone during August when it looks like these updates happened but when I came back from my holiday my client updated with the September updates.