Question

Rental Management - Is there a way to use a part not serial tracked in inventory?

• 12 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +3
  • Do Gooder (Partner)
  • 4 replies

Hi

I’m looking for a way to use Rental Management with some parts that are serial tracked only in receipt and issue, (but not in inventory). We cannot create a “Sales + Rental” Sales part for parts that are serial tracked at receipt and issue but not in Inventory.

I tried to re-name  the part serial to a different part no that is serial tracked in inventory, but this is also not allowed. Rename requires the new part no to have same serial tracking setup as per original part no. 

Does anyone see a work around for this? these parts are produced mainly for selling, but few of these are used as rental units also.

Thank you

-Dharshana

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @dhwe ,

Please follow the below steps

1. Go to inventory part in stock and select the line and right click and choose identify serials 
  2. Then select the serials from the list of value and click ok. Now you can see all serials in inventory part in stock
  3. go to Part screen and enable serial tracking In Inventory for the part
  4. Go to inventory part in stock and transfer the ownership to company owned to company owned rental
  5. Go to part serial and right click and connect to rental asset.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Mithun K V

Badge +3

Hi Mithun

Thank you for your reply. However there is an issue.

First thing is, original part numbers must remain non-tracked in Inventory. This is because it is lot of administration cost to track units in inventory.

What I tried was to re-name the few units to be used as rental units to a new part number. I can do this as long as the new part number has the same serial tracking as the original one.

Then I can follow the steps you have listed and make the new part number (used for rental units only) serial tracked in inventory. So all good.

But the issue is after few months if they want to convert few more units into rental units, I have to make this new part no used for rental units “non serial tracked” in inventory again. Didn’t check if this is possible, even if it is, this is too much work.

For now what we decided was to maintain 2 separate manufactured parts and to produce rental units using shop orders created for the rental part no. Here the problem is customer has to maintain 2 engineering structures, one for the original sales unit and the other for the rental units.

Thank you

Best Regards

Dharshana