Question

Registrer W/D/R on the Transport Order

• 2 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We like to register a number in the W/D/R field before the Transport Order is received, thus we don't need to go back into every single line in IPIS to assign the number to every part line. When a Transport Order is received at a warehouse every box is assigned a receipt number. The box may contain 1 or many IPIS lines, so a TO may be given several different receipt numbers. To enter these after the TO is received and closed is really not a sustainable option for our logistics operation. By making the update before the TO is received would be a much better option.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@jorn.eriksen as far as I understand TO only supports movement of goods between locations and that is no place to define a WDR. Yes, it can be between multiple sites, however, what was loaded (including the WDR) will be received at the To Location. Based on the decisions of receiving location it can be decided to change the WDR. I understand it would be convenient to have the ability of defining the WDR when you are receiving the TO, but current behaviour of TO is a transfer of goods between locations. You can understand this if you check the Inventory Transactions. 

In that case, I believe, you should consider a customisation if it’s really going to add value to your business. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for your input. I am not aware of the original reason why the W/D/R field was created, so I may be on thin ice here. The reason I like to move the WDR update from IPIS to when the p/n is on a TO, is that it would be much easier to edit in a “grid” view,  than line by line in IPIS. We like use the field for two additional things than we do today.

1. Currently we copy the PO nr. over to the WDR field to keep track of the PO thru the movement
  2. In addition we would like to add the 3rd party reference number we get from our warehouse,  if we temporally store this with a 3rd party warehouse. We normally get a 15 alphanumeric number as a reference. This takes a long time to add in IPIS if the TO has 40 to 50 lines.
  3. In addition when we store items at our own warehouse currently keep the custom nr of the parts on a seperate spreadsheet. We would like to add this number. Again it is very cumbersome to add this in IPIS if there are multiple lines.

Another solution would of course be to use another field that we could use rather than WDR, but I am unable to identify any suitable column.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@jorn.eriksen As you said, if your requirement is to track against a PO and another reference, why can’t you use lot/batch tracking? At the arrival of the PO in the From Location, define the lot/batch and load to the TO with the lot/batch then receive the TO at To location.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We ship parts back to our warehouse from IFS instances all over the world.. When the parts arrive into the country, we can receive them either at our freight forwarder (using their reference nr),  or at our own warehouse , on Site and locations. In addition we will get a custom reference number. The custom number is needed, when we re-ship the items. The reference is 15 to 19 characters in length. Today we export the TO to Excel and add the reference number outside IFS.

The WDR field seam to “almost” fit this purpose. Your proposal on lot/batch looked very good. However I am not able to test the lot/batch fully.  It is not editable on the TO (as far as I can test) nor in IPIS? I may of course be wrong here. Or the field may have been blocked by our administrator. Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@jorn.eriksen you cannot update the lot/batch in IPIS or TO when it is created. As I suggested, you shall define the right lot batch when the PO is arrived. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunatly this is not what I am after. 

It looks like the WDR is the only existing field that is dynamic enough to serve the purpose. It can be changed / updated with new reference numbers, every time we move equipment from Site to Site on a TO. The downside is it is very cumbersom to use, when receiving large TO’s,

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

@Jorn can I know in which industry the customer is in ? And a bit more specific industry details would help me understand how dynamic the required flow would be ? To suggest a better way of using or mapping.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This is Oil & Gas. What I am missing, on line level, is a column for external references that is editable.  We use third party contractors for shipments. We see that we are missing the external reference column, once a parts has been moved to a picking location. When a part is bought and is on an arrival location, we do have the external reference. This we use to coordinate the location with the third party freight supplier. The column is not transferred with the part. Sometimes parts are temporarily send back to these hubs and stored there for some time. So we would like an external reference column to enter their reference number, so when we give instructions we can tell them exactly what box/pallet etc we want to move. Ideally you would enter the external reference before closing a transport order. So when you create a new all the reference are loaded. .