Question

Adding inbound freight to you inventory part cost.

• 17 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

How would one go about adding inbound freight cost to an inventory part without altering the per item cost of the PO line?  I know I can edit the lot batch cost but that is time consuming.

Thanks in advance. 

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

I am assuming your inventory part is weighted average. Have you explored the option of adding charges to the Purchase Order? The charges can have a different vendor and can be invoiced separately.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Yes , we do use weighted average and I currently do add a charge line for freight.  But this cost doesn’t roll into the cost of the individual part.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

Can you check the following on your charge type

Distribute On Receipt? 

If that is unchecked, please check that and select the Distribute Charge by based on your requirement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Mpreite ,

We are using IFS Applications 10 Update 8.

We use weighted average and we use charges to record freight charges and basically add the freight charge to the inventory part when we receive it.   We do not have the checkbox Distribute on Receipt because we distribute the charge by Per Line which basically spreads the cost of the freight charge across all purchase order lines evenly.

Here’s our freight charge setup.

Here’s a purchase order line for 6500 gallons ordered @ $3.50 a gallon for total of $22,750.00.   So 6500 gallons * $3.50 = $22,750.00

Freight charge amount on the purchase order for $1,260.00.

Here’s the landed cost of the inventory item which $3.69 a gallon and that’s what recorded in the inventory transactions.   6500 * 3.50 = $22,750.00 + 1,260.00 = $24,010.00

$24,010.00 / 6,500 = $3.69 a gallon landed cost.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

This works great.  I wish I could receive it then add the freight cost and it distribute because that is the normal business flow.  But functionally this works perfectly.

Thank you