Question

Resource Allocation Spread for Work Tasks/PM Actions

• 31 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello all,

In the projects module, there’s an ability to evenly spread planned resource hours across the activity’s start and finish dates. This helps even out the resource analysis so the full resource hours don’t show up at the beginning of the planned start. I’m wondering if this functionality exists for resource analysis related to PM actions and/or work tasks. From what I can tell, the PM action and work task related resource analysis will just fill out based on the planned start date and however the maintenance calendar is set up (e.g. 16 planned hours with 8 hour work days will be spread out across 2 full days). We run into a couple issues with this setup on PM action resource analysis in future years. Some of our PMs are set up to generate the first of the year because we don’t know when we’ll be able to schedule them throughout the year at that time. We just know they’re due that year. The resource analysis then piles all of this time into the first couple days of January (see picture below). Is there any way to spread this out through planned start and finish dates on the PM action or work tasks?

We are currently running Apps 10 update 13.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @eedwards ,

I think understand your question, but I also think it is working correct now. Speading the time on projects is spreading the time for the resource on the Project Activity and is also not checking on other Activities. So there is option there as well. So no spreading over multiple activities or based on multiple PM Actions.

Based on the maintenance plan of the PM Actions, the capacity is calculated and based on that outcome you can reschedule the PM Actions. That is something the system cannot do for you, because there is not ligic what needs to be executed first. Whe you work with calendar based PM Action, you just need to change the start value and the maintenance plan is chnaged accordingly. Then refresh the snapshot and and check the capacity again. 

If the question is to check if you have enough capacity for the whole year, you can also check in the tab Year (instead of Week) in the analisys window.

Hope you will be able to managed the Maintenance better then you current set up.

Good luck