Question

Modify depreciation rate of Fixed Asset

• 15 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I wonder if anyone could please help me figure out if there is a way to change the rate of depreciation for a fixed asset object that has been depreciated (straight line) for a period of time. See examples below.

Please note that after the break-point I would like the object to be depreciated with equal amounts every period and end up at 0 precisely at end of life. 

Thanks in advance!

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Johan!

I suspect you are using the Simple Straight Line Beginning of Period depreciation method.

Did you try just to alter the specified depreciation Life on the assets?

/Jonas

Badge +2

Hi,

I have tried a number of different parameter settings without any success.

The problem is that the system does not take into account the amount that has already been depreciated when I change the life span. In the following example I have an acquisition amount of 12000. The initial life is set to 1 year. After two months of depreciation I extend it’s life to 2 years. See below. Instead of 500 per month the last 22 months, I would prefer (12000-1000-1000)/22=455 per month, since after two months of depreciation the book value is 10000 and the remaining life is 22 months. 1000/22=455

/Johan

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

See below how my current customer has set it up. They have the same scenario as that you are trying to achieve:

They are on APPS10 UPD 11

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Just tried a test in that customers database and it works as you want it to - the amounts are updated so that the residual posting at end of life is only a rounding. The original lifetime is not changed.

/Jonas