Solved

What Function Argument from External file template to for 2 decimals

• 7 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I need the output of the check_amount to show 2 decimal places. Ex. 550.20. The export file seems to drop the last zero. What function should I use to format this properly?

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by gumabs 8 February 2024, 15:29

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @arebbeadle,

1. Select the set of cells and RMB → Format Cells. 
  2. On the “Number” tab, select “Number” from the list of categories.
  3. Increase the number of decimal places to 2 and press OK.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Charith Epitawatta , thank for your response. I know how to change the cell format but that was not what I need. I need the External File Template to output the data in the correct format. Is it possible to use the detail functions to output the data to a csv file in the requested format (50.20, 135.00) as examples. 

Thank you,

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello @arebbeadle 

I think the issue is not created because of IFS functionality. CSV files contain only data, as comma-separated values. They do not keep formatting/style. If you want to keep your formatting changes, you need to save the file as an Excel file (i.e. myfile.xls), using the 'save as' file menu option.

Hope this helps

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@gumabs I don’t want to manipulate the data file once it is created. The data exported using the External File Assistant creates an outout file based on an External File Template which is used to format the data for output. There is a column for check_amount and one of the records is an even dollar amount, 175, I want this to be formatted and output to a file as 175.00 also if the record is like, 23.5, I want the output to be 23.50. I need the decimal and 2 digits. Can this be output to a CSV file or is there another file type I should use.

Thank you for your input,

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hi @arebbeadle again,

I understand what you try to achieve but you cannot do this with a CSV file. Because CSV file is storing raw data only, does not keep any format of data. On the other hand, the values are presented in database the same in CSV file you exported. I am not sure if you can achieve what you want without defining detail function.

As far as I know, IFS can export an external file in CSV or XML format. @Charith Epitawatta  can comment here if he knows any other option. 

Maybe you can use TO_CHAR function in detail to present values with decimals and export to CSV as text field. Here are couple of samples how to use TO_CHAR.

Main_Functıon Function_Argument
TO_CHAR DETAIL_REF(3),"99999999999999,99"
TO_CHAR DETAIL_REF(1)
TO_CHAR DETAIL_REF(6),"99999999999999,99"
TO_CHAR COLUMN_REF(CHECK_AMOUNT),999999999999999.99

Hope this helps