Solved

Use reference number as document title when printing document in IFS

• 13 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

A customer has asked whether it is possible to change the title of a document when it’s generated and the printed document is downloaded (e.g. a customer invoice, PO order confirmation etc.). 

The customer is trying to get IFS to use e.g. the invoice number, PO number etc. in the document title so that it’s easily searchable and it’s clear which document is what. 

Has anyone come across this requirement or seen a way to do this?

icon

Best answer by Marcel.Ausan 15 March 2024, 12:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Currently, the document title is random. E.g.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Do you mean the Title field on a document, as seen in the Document Revision screen, for example? If so, it might be possible to create a custom event that, when the document is connected to, say, an invoice, part of the document title gets the invoice number.

Then again, we connect documents to "objects" for a reason, such that we can find them easily, via the object. Why not rely on that? You search for your invoice and voila!, the document is attached under it.

There is also the screen Document Object Connections which allows searching for documents connected to certain objects:

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Mathias Dahl - thanks for the quick response, really appreciate it.

I probably raised the question in the wrong queue because I didn’t mean the document title in Document Revision.

Instead, I am talking more about an operational report, when it gets printed from IFS and the PDF is saved to the computer downloads folder (e.g. a customer invoice when it is created in IFS and printed) - IFS assigns a long document title which appears to be random. The customer wants to know whether that title can be changed to have the reference number of the item printed (e.g. the invoice number). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I think you mean the report file name then, right? I don't know if it can be changed or not. That might be hard to do, as a general rule, for the printing framework. I will ask this post to be moved to the framework section.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Ieva Rituma this is not possible with the current functionality.

However, for one of my customers I created some Report Rules to check in the pdf to Document Management when the Invoice is posted/printed. In the report rule action you can specify the file name using any datapoints from the document/invoice. This way, after the user executes the print command, a PDF will be attached to the Invoice page with the desired name. All they have to do is download it and send it to the customer.