Question

Oracle ASFU Licenses

• 16 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hello,

I understand that Oracle ASFU licenses are Named Oracle enterprise edition. I have few queries related to this.

1. How many instances can we create for IFS Instances. e.g Prod, Test, Dev, DR, New DR…
  2. Are optional packs - Performance and Tunning part of these licenses. 
  3. Can these be installed on VM/Hyperviser. - One Server having multiple VM’s and one of those VM’s are used for IFS Database.
  4. RAC, Data guard and Active Dataguard as I under stand are not part of the license and client has to buy it seprately.

Kindly help in clarifing point 1,2 & 3

Best Regards

Pankaj

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
  1. (My best guess) As many as you want as long as they are only test systems and not used for any commercial use
  2. 19c ee - Technical Documentation For IFS Cloud - Should provide the answers to this
  3. (My best guess) You can install it however you like
  4. Anything in 1.4 and 1.5 would require additional Oracle license Licensing Information (oracle.com)
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hello,

I understand that Oracle ASFU licenses are Named Oracle enterprise edition. I have few queries related to this.

1. How many instances can we create for IFS Instances. e.g Prod, Test, Dev, DR, New DR…
  2. Are optional packs - Performance and Tunning part of these licenses. 
  3. Can these be installed on VM/Hyperviser. - One Server having multiple VM’s and one of those VM’s are used for IFS Database.
  4. RAC, Data guard and Active Dataguard as I under stand are not part of the license and client has to buy it seprately.

Kindly help in clarifing point 1,2 & 3

Best Regards

Pankaj

Hi Pankaj

Did you get any further with this issue?

We had ASFU licenses previously, and we did have Oracle Enterprise Edition, but paid for this, over having just Standard Edition. We have since moved to Weighted User IFS/Oracle Licenses which allow free reign on points 1 and 3.

Re point 2, no, Optional packs are not included in any license.

Re point 4, I believe you can use Data guard with Enterprise Edition if you have it. Active Dataguard is extra.

Licensing (Especially Oracle) is a minefield, and good luck getting anyone to commit to anything in writing. Nothing is free on this front.

Cheers

Mike