Question

Opening IFS with different browsers

• 26 February 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi

We are using IFS Apps 8, and when using IE browser IFS opens seamlessly, however with browsers like Chrome it will drop the application manifest file Ifs.Fnd.Explorer to the bottom of the screen and the user then needs to click on this to open IFS. 

Is there a way to use newer browsers such as Chrome but ensure the manifest file isn’t downloaded but users are taken straight to the login page?

Any guidance would be appreciated

Regards

Shaun

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi, @SHAUN_KERSLAKE,

In Apps 10 add-ons section there is an extension to get the IFS Enterprise Explorer links to work properly in Chrome

The extension consists of two parts, an MSI file that needs to be installed on the client machine
and a Chrome extension that needs to be installed from Chrome Web Store. 

However, in the Apps 8 add-ons section, this extension is not shown and I’m not sure that this extension will work for Apps 8.

The .msi file cannot be attached here since that file format is not supported. (I tried to zip and attach and even that failed). You can try adding only the Chrome extension and see whether it resolves the issue.

Best Regards,
Binura.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi

You can set Chrome to automatically open specific file types when opening.
After the file has been downloaded, press the down arrow and select "Always open files of this type"

Next time clicking the link the it will open automatically without downloading.

However, this is only done for the specific user and there is, to my knowledge, no way to control and set this to multiple users with a GPO or similar.

BR
Johan Lindström

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I can confirm that JohanLindstrom’s tip above worked well in Chrome.

I am now using the latest version of Edge of which effectively runs on Chrome.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

After the file has been downloaded, press the down arrow and select "Always open files of this type"

OMG! Our head office blocked the Chrome extension so we had to fashion a desktop shortcut that forced IE to open the URL rather than the default Chrome. What a waste of time that was!

Thanks @JohanLindstrom.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

You can use this third party chrome extension.

It worked for me.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

It worked for me.

Perfect - we are using the new Edge (Chromium), with Apps 10 UD6 IEE works a charm.  Thank you! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I’m using another solution with our users with IFS 9 and until now it worked perfectly on different Windows Versions including Windows Server. Also on different language installations.

Create a shortcut to Internet Explorer executable or create one from scratch and set this as the item location (including the quotation marks): "C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" "http://111.111.111.111:11111/client/runtime/Ifs.Fnd.Explorer.application"

Change the IP and Port according to your installation.

This opens downloads and opens the manifest file with Internet Explorer guiding you to the login screen.

You can also save an icon on a public server in your domain and have a proper desktop icon this way, putting it in the default Desktop folder of your Windows installation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It worked for me.

Perfect - we are using the new Edge (Chromium), with Apps 10 UD6 IEE works a charm.  Thank you! 

If you are using the new Chromium based Edge with APPS10, the best option would be to use the add-on provided by IFS along with the chrome extension rather than any third party extensions… 

The reason for suggesting the thirdparty extension in this instance is because the question is raised for APPS8. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

It worked for me.

If you are using the new Chromium based Edge with APPS10, the best option would be to use the add-on provided by IFS along with the chrome extension rather than any third party extensions… 

The reason for suggesting the thirdparty extension in this instance is because the question is raised for APPS8. 

I would love to use IFS’s extension but it does not work in Microsoft Edge. I loaded this third party chrome extension up and boom, instantly working.

Did you do any special for the install of the MSI to get it working correctly?