Question

IFS Cloud - Database server

• 11 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hello,

Can you suggest if client having heavy transactions should go with Database on Bare metal or VM on IFS10 or IFS Cloud.

As per me Bare Metal is better as we will get direct access to the underlying hardware. It gives a dedicated physical server for Highest performance & strong isolation. 

Any suggestion from IFS.

Best Regards

Pankaj

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Not specific to IFS, I would not recommend bare metal for much anymore. There are many administrative and technical advantages to virtualization. Even for a database, the primary performance issues are due to I/O constraints and index fragmentation. You will not see any performance improvements by going bare metal that cannot be obtained with virtualization. The Cloud itself is just virtualization on someone else’s equipment, so again no performance differences.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hello Ben,

Thanks for your response. 

Best Regards

Pankaj

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

To me, it would depend on more than just the hardware performance, and what you mean by heavy transactions.

If the majority of users are on a single site you’ll probably do better with general performance to have local (either VM or metal) vs hosted at a 3rd party.  

For a database server I like metal to reduce the system overhead and lower Oracle costs.  Unless something has changed, VMs for databases have Oracle licensing implications where you have to pay for the full number of underlying physical CPU cores even if they are never assigned to the database VM.

Also, with metal, you can configure Oracle RAC etc which really wants to be on dedicated hardware like that.  This comes back to what you mean by ‘heavy transactions’ - whether RAC would help you or not.

Nick

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hello ,

we will have 3 node rac cluster. The client is a distributor with heavy load of invoicing on last days of month

Please suggest based on best practices recommended by IFS for IFS Cloud in this scenario