Solved

How to add new description field for field that have none?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello, in IFS Cloud, we can see that not all standard IFS fields have the field description and this is also missing for custom fields. Is there a way how we can add the description for needed fields?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Charith Epitawatta 9 March 2022, 20:21

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @osojans,

According to the documentation regarding Field Descriptions, it doesn’t look like it’s possible to add new field descriptions, but you can edit any existing field descriptions or add translations from the “Field Description Editor” window. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @osojans 

According to the document like which Charith has given Field Descriptions,  you get the “No” badge for a Field Description when the workflow status of the FD is set to “Unused

Unused means: the item should not have a Field Description.

But you should be able to add new FD’s from Field Description editor I suppose by changing the workflow status and the Used badge.

@Linda Smit  , @chanaka-shanil  Any thoughts?

/Harshini

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @osojans ,

@hamalk  is right. Via the page Field Description Editor you can add and/or update Field Descriptions to customize this to your need.

The logic for showing the icon to indicate the field has a description is based upon the value of the following fields:

• Workflow: value should be “Reviewed”
  • Used: value should be “Yes” 

so if you add a description, please make sure the value of those fields are updated as well.

I hope this answers on your question,

Regards,

Linda Smit

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @hamalk, @Linda Smit, Many thanks for your inputs on this post.

@osojans has entered a support case on the same topic referring this post and it seems that his question is not fully answered.

As you suggested we can add/modify field description if a record/line for the particular label/button is shown in the ‘Field Description Editor’ page. (even as ‘Unused’) However there are some labels for which a record is not shown in ‘Field Description Editor’ page.

-As an example ‘Part Master Data>Master Part>Part’ has several labels which do not show field descriptions. Ex – Net Weight, Customer Warranty etc. We can not see any record for those labels in ‘Field Description Editor’ page.

-Another example is custom fields.

*Would there be a way to add field descriptions for such labels?

*If it will be available in future versions, can we know which RU/SU you are planning to release it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hello @hamalk , @Linda Smit ,

One another customer also requesting this information via a support case. 

Answers for Anushka’s questions would help for this customer as well. Could you kindly check this and provide your ideas.

Badge +1

Hi @Piumi Rubasinghe, unfortunately for some field types field descriptions are not possible to add at this moment. However,  we are looking into improving on this. We will let you know once we are ready to roll out the improved feature. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Thanks @dilum.fernando.

Could you please mention the field types which is not possible to add field descriptions? custom fields is one example.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi @LakmaliRD , @hamalk , @Linda Smit

IFS Cloud customer raised the same issue in custome attributes and we do not see a proper answer for this. Further we didn’t notice this as a limiation in the F1 doc. 

• Could you please kindly explain how to include a field description in a custom attribute?
  • Is this a limiation?
  • If this is not implemented are there any plans to implement and what will be the release?

Since the customer reported this in IFS Cloud I have raised this concers in the community thread “IFS Cloud 22R1 - Employees/Partners Only > Aurena Framework & UX (Lobbies, Screens & Mobile)” 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @chanaka-shanil 

We can add Field Description for Custom Fields right? 

Can you direct them?

/Harshini

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

As far as I know Field Description are not support on Custom Fields, @LakmaliRD please correct me if I’m wrong.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi,

I have a customer who is in 22R1, who asked whether it is possible to have field descriptions for custom fields. I don’t see a response to the question from 8 months ago and wondered if anything has changed since.

Can you please confirm if it is possible to add field descriptions for custom fields?

Thank You & Best Regards,

Dinesha Velivitiya

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Nils Wendelöv  Do you have any insight on this?

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @Nils Wendelöv ,

Seems @LakmaliRD  has directed to you for clarification. Can you please let me know if this is possible or not? The customer is planning on going into 23R1 and was wondering if this is possible in any version.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Dinesha Velivitiya