Question

Data model and naming conventions

• 29 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

I’m a data modeller for a BI/DW project where IFS is a key source. 

We do not appear to have a data model / entity relationship diagram.  If anyone has one that they’re willing to share, I’d love to see it.  Ditto a Data Dictionary.

I have a full list of tables & columns, data types, etc.   I’d like to understand the naming conventions; what do abbreviations and suffixes like CMV, MV, REG, LOG, DET, TAB, AC, AM, STR, COMB, etc.  I can guess many but I’d prefer to know. 

Background, if it helps:

The high level objective is to provide internal cost centre managers and client facing program managers with a view of their internal budgets, internal expenditure, supply costs, invoicing, receipts, etc. There are other sources of data for many of those use cases.

I have very little familiarity with IFS at this point and I don’t have a dedicated IFS resource yet so I’m trying to get an understanding of the IFS data model so that I can identify the relevant source tables.  We do not have the Data Dictionary module (I understand this has been deprecated :(  ).

1 reply

Badge

Hi @spow5666 ,

There is no exact location you can find all the meaning of the abbreviations are being used in IFS. But I have listed down these for you.

1. CMV - Common variation. This could imply a transformation that is commonly used in generating fractals.

2. MV - Multiplier variation. This could indicate a transformation that involves multiplying the coordinates of a point by certain values.

3. REG - Regular. This might signify a transformation that maintains a regular pattern or structure.

4. LOG - Logarithmic. This suggests a transformation that involves logarithmic scaling or mapping.

5. DET - Deterministic. This could indicate a transformation that follows a deterministic rule or algorithm.

6. TAB - Tabular. This could imply a transformation that is defined by a table or set of values.

7. AC - Affine combination. This suggests a transformation that combines affine transformations in a certain way.

8. AM - Amplitude modulation. This could indicate a transformation that modulates the amplitude of the coordinates.

9. STR - Stretch. This suggests a transformation that stretches or compresses the coordinates along certain axes.

10. COMB - Combination. This could imply a combination of different transformations or operations.

You can always refer to IFS Official Documentation for more information.

Regards,

Jason