Question

Barcode (ZPL) labels using Script Plugin

• 27 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 33 replies

We are implementing Apps 10 and I’m trying to get barcode labels to print using the Script plugin. I’ve created a RPL file, added the layout to the ‘Handling Unit Content Label’ report.

I can use Order Report to request the label and it will say it’s completed

Where I think I’m getting stuck is how do you map the Logical Printer to the physical printer in this case? I’ve been through the F1 Technical Docs a number of times and to me it’s not clearly spelled out how this happens.

Also this is in a IFS hosted cloud installation if that makes a difference.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Logical to Physical printer mappings occur in the IFS Print Agent. 

I’m not sure how that is configured when running IFS in the cloud (is the Print Agent installed at your site or in the cloud?) but I would guess it needs to be installed on-site so that your local IT can handle the printer drivers for the devices that you have deployed.

Nick

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Nick,

I setup the IFS Print Agent for the printer and I never see it pick up anything in the logs. The report immediately goes to Complete status, I never see it go to Remote Waiting even when the Print Agent is shutdown.

-Lane

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

It could be a lot of things; if these general thoughts don’t help you might need to ask IFS if anything specific needs to be done to support a local Print Agent for a cloud install.

Thoughts:

• Make sure the Print Agent is running without error
  • Make sure that your Logical Printer name is all capitals in IFS
  • Make sure that in the Print Agent the logical printer is also set as all capitals (our version allowed entry as free text but it had to be caps to work)
  • Make sure that the Logical to physical printer are mapped cleanly in the Print Agent, check the setup screen and also look at the XML config file it creates if unsure
  • Make sure that the print job is being sent to the expected Logical printer

HTH,

Nick

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Lane,

We’ve been researching printing a label to a Zebra printer using the capabilities within IFS.  Based on our research a socket spooler is required to be configured.  You configure the socket spooler in the print agent configuration file.  IFS print agent documentation indicates the socket spooler is currently only available in the Java print agents.  If you go to your F1 Technical documentation and search for Print Agents or Socket Spooler you should find the documentation.  The link below is from our install.  We haven’t gotten it running yet as we are using the .NET print agents but we are going to install the Java print agents next week and give it a try.

https://<yourserver:port>/ifsdoc/f1doc/foundation1/020_installation/400_installation_options/005_operational_reporting/020_install_print_agents/#Socket_Spooler

William Klotz

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hello @Lane 

I have had this before, remove the n/a from the repeaters tag in the properties. I’ve no idea why this is in the sample that IFS provide as it stops the labels being generated. 

<properties>
<mode>script</mode> <!--script,xml-->
<repeat>on</repeat> <!--on,off-->
<repeaters>n/a</repeaters>
<file-name></file-name>
</properties>
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello @Lane 

I have had this before, remove the n/a from the repeaters tag in the properties. I’ve no idea why this is in the sample that IFS provide as it stops the labels being generated. 

<properties>
<mode>script</mode> <!--script,xml-->
<repeat>on</repeat> <!--on,off-->
<repeaters>n/a</repeaters>
<file-name></file-name>
</properties>

Hi David,

where can this be configured? I don’t have such configuration in any of my config files available.
You are speaking about PrintAgent, right?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi Bernd, 

These are setup as Layouts in Report Definitions. I’ve attached a sample for a Shop Order Pick List label. You add the RPL layout of type Other Plugin.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi Bernd, 

These are setup as Layouts in Report Definitions. I’ve attached a sample for a Shop Order Pick List label. You add the RPL layout of type Other Plugin.

Thanks, I will check this.