Solved

Define an inventory part as Serial Object and Fixed Asset

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi everyone,

I would like your help regarding inventory part and fixed asset.

My client purchases Fixed Assets and store it in warehouse. Then it is issued on Material Requisition if needed in the equipement structure and / or Maintenance can be performed on them while in warehouse.

Do you know how to define an inventory part as a Fixed asset and as a Serial Object as well ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

icon

Best answer by Dharshankumaar Mahendran 3 June 2021, 19:37

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

It is not possible to connect inventory parts to fixed asset objects. That's why we use no part order lines when purchasing objects using POs.

However, it is possible to have an object connected to a site and have other details such as  Physical Location, Tag number.

Object Physical counts also can be carried out.

Hope this helps.

Shehan Almeida.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @BeaFannDe,

Hope we have answered to this within Assets (Enterprise Service and Assets Management) forum considering the need of performing maintenance on such object. As a summary “Serial Maintenance Aware” seems to be the best functionality that we can suggest to you in defining inventory part as a Serial/Functional Object.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @BeaFannDe,

Hope your well,

I would like to get few more clarifications on your question,

You have mentioned that the client keeps it in the warehouse and then issues at request, Is it something you want to consider as an inventory physically and financially as a Fixed asset? 

Also, you have mentioned that these parts are serviced/maintained at the warehouse, Can we conclude that these can be used in the equipment structure again after the service?

Moreover, you can use the Rotable part pool function of IFS if you want to connect a serial tracked inventory to a Fixed Asset if the part is rotable

Best Regard,

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @BeaFannDe 

Please refer the attachment “Activating Rotable Pool Object” and see whether it works for you.

Best Regards,

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @Dharshankumaar Mahendran

I have activated the Rotatable Pool Object. But it showed on-hand quantity and available quantity in the inventory part in stock(Inventory value not zero). but, I do not need to consider it as an inventory physically, Only as a FA. How to handle this, please help me.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Great conversations! Is it best practice to consider using Rotable Pool in the CRO and Purchase  Exchange functions?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@chathurangatb,

Could you please be kind enough to attach few screenshots of the issue to check further.

Best Regards,
Dharshankumaar.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@Dharshankumaar Mahendran, apologies for the delayed response.

Unfortunately we don’t have any screen captures to share, as we are not using Rotable Pool at present, it was more a question of seeking advice. What we are seeing, is that there appears to be a timing issue in the CRO Exchange function, associated with Financial Transactions.

We also foresee a challenge with the use of RFQ’s for External Service Order, whereby, we are unable to evacuate the part for ESO and Core/Exchange Value

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

@chathurangatb,

Could you please be kind enough to attach few screenshots of the issue to check further.

Best Regards,
Dharshankumaar.

Hi Dharshankumaar

We have the same issue that the the inventory part is moved to FA according to the inventory transactions. When we check the Inventory part in stock we still see a value. attached you will see the testplan. is this a BUG?

Best Regards

Sophal

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @bytsophan,

According to the definitions I don’t believe the value shown in inventory in stock will affect any statistics.

Best Regards,

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @bytsophan,

According to the definitions I don’t believe the value shown in inventory in stock will affect any statistics.

Best Regards,

Hi Dharshankumaar

I got the same Answer from IFS support but what i see that you cannot move the item in the inventory nor issue it or move it.

Still i have an available quantity in stock. If I create reports i see the availability but financial point of view i dont have a Value anymore.

What exactly is meant by “will not affact any statistic”? Can you tell me this in detail or make an example?

Best Regards

Sophal

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @bytsophan,

Best Regards,

Hi Dharshankumaar

I got the same Answer from IFS support but what i see that you cannot move the item in the inventory nor issue it or move it.

Still i have an available quantity in stock. If I create reports i see the availability but financial point of view i dont have a Value anymore.

What exactly is meant by “will not affact any statistic”? Can you tell me this in detail or make an example?

Best Regards

Sophal

Hi @bytsophan 

Please refer to below. 

“If you check in the 'Inventory Value- Snapshot' window you will be able to see once an individual is connected to a FA rotable pool, value and the qty will be shown as '0'.
(Inventory part in stock window shows value and qty as an indication of the physical stock rather than any financial indication)

And when the individual is removed from the pool, on 'Inventroy value - snapshot' qty will be again shown but not the value.
(Inventory part in stock window also does not show value at this point.)

This is also mentioned in IFS documentation as below.
"Remove Individual Temporarily from FA Rotable Pool

You can temporarily remove an individual from an FA rotable pool and return it to stock. The intention should be to replace the removed individual as soon as possible. This can be seen as a temporary loan from the FA rotable pool. The fixed asset object is not affected by this function. The individual will be removed from the FA rotable pool and returned to stock with an inventory value of 0. This will not generate any inventory or accounting transactions."

Hope this further clarifies your concerns.

Thank you

Kithmini

Badge +3

Hi @Dharshankumaar Mahendran ,

I am using IFS Cloud to setup Rotable Part Pool and have setup the Posting Control of M151, of which to set Account and Fixed Asset Code Part to use AC2 - Pre Posting.

So far so good, since Fixed Asset is created with Part Connection Established.

However, the Inventory Transaction History displayed the usage of M139 instead of M151

and the Code Part Demand of account 028200 has Fixed Asset as Mandatory.

Can you help me out to solve this riddle, please?

Many thanks!

/Bobby

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Bobby,

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw your comment.

Could you try creating a another FA and check how the ADDFAPOOL transactions are created in the inventory transactions window.

Best Regards,