Solved

Customer Document Tax Supply Country

• 15 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

I have a doubt in the Customer Basic Data.

In the address tab, we have the Document Tax Information sub tab.

Here we can create multiple lines of Tax ID Numbers for the Customer.

My doubt is why can we have multiple Tax ID Numbers for a customer address, if we change supply country or delivery country?

So for the example I send attached, if I supply my customer from China, I invoice to a Chinese VAT, but if I supply from Portugal, I supply a Portuguese VAT, even though the delivery location is the same...

What is the explanation and logic behind this, logistically, financially and legally?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Mendes

icon

Best answer by Ralph Gericke 21 June 2022, 16:27

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi,

the logic can be found in the adress types and which address is the default. You might have several delivery addresses for the customer and only one address where the invoice is going to. 

E.g. you deliver to Portugal, Italy, Austria and the invoice goes always to France but the customer is registered in each delivery country..

In that case you have one DEFAULT DOCUMENT ADDRESS where you can handle all tax ID’s of the customer for the different delivery countries. And you have multiple DELIVERY ADDRESSES where you just handle the delivery tax information.

Kind regards

Ralph

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Ralph Gericke,

First of all, thanks for the explanation!

I understand the logic you wrote, and can now see an example for having different delivery countries for the same address and therefore have different tax numbers, if we consider the document address is only to receive the document and the invoicing is to be done on the delivery country.

However, I still don’t understand how we can have different supply countries for the same address and have the possibility to have different tax numbers? Are you able to think of an example?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Mendes

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi Carlos,

in case you have multiple sites (in different countries) that you deliver from, you have different supply countries. E.g. you might deliver from the US site or from a site in the  to an customers EU address. For the first one a tax number is not mandatory while it is mandatory inside the EU.

Kind regards

Ralph

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Yes, we have different sites in different countries, so I understand the concept of having different supply countries.

What I don’t understand is, if we supply to one delivery address, is it possible for the tax number of the customer to change, depending on supply country?

That for me doesn’t make sense, however that is what I assume the tab allows as a possibility?

Or are you saying that the only example, is when the vat number is mandatory, or not, depending on the supply country and the delivery address?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi Carlos,

in the business cases that I observed yet (most of them are from the EU) I didn’t have had the need to change the tax number because of a changing supply country. In all cases the tax number even if not needed didn’t harm the process. But as you said the possibility is there.

Regards

Ralph

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Ralph Gericke,

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Carlos Mendes