Solved

FSM 6.15 Upgrade Errors

• 8 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Team,

We are unable to complete upgrade for FSM 6.15 from 6.6 version.

Please advise how to proceed with the installation.

Error occurred while generating custom index script!
Exception Type: System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException
Exception Message: The term 'sqlcmd' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
Check upgradeStatus.log or recreateCustomIndexes.log for more details.

Regards,

Jithesh

icon

Best answer by Hushan Hasarel 8 April 2022, 22:07

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Jithesh,

Can you try executing following script from PowerShell console

Import-Module sqlserver

And then try to run the installer again ?

Best Regards,

Hushan

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Hushan,

We tried this already but still gives same error.

Regards,

Jithesh

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Jithesh,

In your server machine, check if there is a file called “SQLCMD.EXE” in the following location

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\170\Tools\Binn

If you can see the file there, then check your system PATH variable. (Right click on “This PC” > Properties > Advanced System Settings > click on “Environment Variables” button > in the system variables section, double click on the “Path” variable). This Path variable should contain the above mentioned path,

If you don’t see the path to SQLCMD.exe like in the above screenshot, try adding it. Then restart the server and try installing again. Have you tried this too ?

P:S:

Also make sure you are executing the FSM installer with a user that this path is configured for. For some system user accounts this “path” system variable might not contain the above mentioned path.

Best Regards,

Hushan Hasarel

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Hushan,

There was no 170 folder in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\ 

Only 110 was there and it didnt have SQLCMD file. I have copied the folder 170\Tools\Binn from my local system to the customer server along with the SQLCMD file and also added the env variable with the path  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\170\Tools\Binn

It didnt work.. Installation errors with the same message.

Regards,

Jithesh

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Jithesh,

If SQLCMD.exe is not there that means Microsoft Command Line Utilities for SQL Server is not installed in your server computer. I don’t think simply copying and pasting it from another computer would work. You’d have to install it.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2142258

But before that you have to make sure you have ODBC drivers for SQL server

Download Microsoft®️ ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server®️ - Windows, Linux, & macOS from Official Microsoft Download Center

After that you can check if SQLCMD.exe file is in above path and check the “path” variable and if it missing the path, add it.

If nothing else work, I guess you’d have to reinstall SQL server because usually Command Line Utilities for SQL Server comes with installer package for SQL Server 2017/19 etc.

This is not an FSM issue but rather a configuration issue in the server.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Hushan Hasarel

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Hushan,

You are right. This fixed the issue and I was able to complete the upgrade.

Thanks for the quick help. 

Regards,

Jithesh