Question

Access Groups - child records to have same Access Group as parent?

• 25 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

(FSM 6)

We’re making some changes to data visibility in FSM and are trying to set all Tasks to be in the same Access Group as their parent Request - even when the parent Request updates.

The predefined business rules for setting Access Groups (67, 70) only fire before insert/update for their associated tables. This means a Request’s Access Group may change and the Task won’t follow it. Those rules seem the only way to change the Access Group of a record in FSM - meaning I can’t just make a custom rule that updates that column.

I could make a custom rule that updates a userdef on the child Task when its parent Request is updated to trigger the appropriate predefined rule but that seems hacky.

Am I missing a better approach to this or some key understanding of how the rules behave? Would rather write a hacky rule than change how we’re using the fields because that would break some of our reporting, but if I can avoid creating a new rule entirely - even better!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @Brian Maus,

If the options you have mentioned are the ones you are comfortable implementing then I would go with them. There is nothing I can see in those proposals that would make them an issue.

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck