ifs document name

• 17 December 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16
  • Hero (Customer)
  • 545 replies

Community,

When checked in the new document, IFS will name the document like “B100-R000026GEN-1-A1-1.TXT”.  it is composed of document class+ document no+ Revision+ ….

my question is, is possible to have it appended with document title?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 20 December 2021, 09:05

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ronhu 
If you use create document Assistant it appended the document title to the file name with Doc class + Doc No

Please explain your issue further?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Kelum Niranjana can you show me your full name that you just imported with your above screenshot? can you show detail of the file name? 

our testing shows us system never append the document title, only the orginal file name +document revision+ document no + sheet no + … any settings we missed?

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Kelum Niranjana I believe there is a Macro has to be enabled for document class. Needs to figure it  out.

Thank  you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

My file name is G1943500.docx
it automatically fetch into Title filed. Then I modified it as G1943500-KEKU-TEST
then it fetched to the document name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Kelum Niranjana thank you for your input. 

please see the screenshot attached. if you could have your attached document opened in Document Revision window, you will see in the File Refs tab, the name is not what you expected to see.

I am referring to this name - Repository File Name.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Why do you want to control the file name in the repository? At least end users should not care about it. This is the file name used to store the document in a FTP server or in a shared folder (in the database, no file name is needed as such).

We decided to concatenate all the primary keys of a document into a file name back in the day, since it was an easy way to make the file name unique and at the same time it provided some information about what document was kept on disk. Strictly however, we could have used a unique number (from a sequence) or even a long random unique file name.

Now, if you talk about the file name a user will see in a client, that is something different. Here, we have two options today: create a file name that starts with the title, then the keys combined inside parentheses. In theory a document macro can even rename a file after it has been downloaded to the user's PC.

If you really want to have the document title part of the repository file name, you need to customize the business logic (PL/SQL code) that generates it, but I would advice against it.

Thanks!

/Mathias

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Mathias Dahl Thank you for your input. We are not going to custimize the buisness logic. I think use alternate solution, create a file name with the title. also, the document class process action force use document file title and name might help as well.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Are you perhaps mixing up the file name in the repository and the file name on the PC, when a user views or edits a file?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Mathias Dahl  Perhaps we did.  so now our understanding is, the repository name is now fixed due to the PL/SQL scripts, you can change it but not recommended. when a user view or edit a file, the name that checked out can be force to document title + original file name.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Yes. Or, you have two options as a user: use the original file name (the name of the file when you checked it in), or a file name we “make up”.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

So, the filename consists of following keys:

• Title
  • Document Class
  • Document No
  • Document Sheet
  • Document Revision
  • File No - Which field is this? I have checked in 2 customer databases and found only records with value “1”
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

• File No - Which field is this? I have checked in 2 customer databases and found only records with value “1”

My thought was that File No is number of files attached to the doc revision, meaning if you have a VIEW file checked in to the same revision, then the VIEW copy will get File No = 2. But both ORIGINAL and VIEW gets File No = 1 🤔