Skip to main content
Solved

Document Revision Reason Information

• 3 July 2024
  • 3 replies

We build to customer design, and often our customers grant approval for us to build to a modified specification while they update drawings and specifications in the background. We need the ability to document revision change reasons from our customers. 

When a document is revised, what would the best practice be for storing customer emails and other documentation related to the Document Revision? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @emiller3061,

I’m not sure I fully understood your question. However, generally speaking, Document Revision includes fields for handling information such as the reason for the revision, new revision text, and an additional note field for a lengthy text.

I hope this will help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Some ideas:

1. Use a document folder in IFS for such documents, where you connect the main document plus additional documents (like e-mails that you mention).

2. Connect the additional documents as sub documents under the main document.

3. Use document sheets. The main document is the first sheet and the other sheets can keep the additional documents/files.

4. A bit unconventional and perhaps not recommended, but you can enable document attachments for documents and keep the additional documents there. This worked in IEE at least, not sure what version you are using. It is a bit strange to connect a document to itself though and you might encounter bugs or strange behavior down the line, because we didn't intend the Attachments / Documents functionality to be used on the documents themselves.

5. Document packages. Mainly used in connection with projects but can be used as a light weight way to group documents. There is not much functionality you can use though, more than to group documents and report the progress.

Badge +4

Thank you both for the ideas! I’m going to proceed with subdocuments.

Thanks again!

EDM