Question

Populating Closed Date on Receipt using External Files

• 5 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Starting a standalone topic in hopes of an answer -

We need to clear our Received - Not Yet Invoiced report and get it in sync with the GL.  I created an External File load to populate the Closed Date on receipts in our test environment and successfully populated the field and it cleared the RNI report.  However, just because I can do this doesn’t necessarily mean that I should.

Can anyone address whether populating this field with an external file is acceptable, or are there system effects that make this not a good idea?

Thanks!

This is the field in question.  It can be populated by the system in certain instances, or it can be manually typed in:

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

We did this same exercise to match GRNI with GL, but the long way, by validating and processing each receipt to match a zero value supplier invoice to make sure that the invoices appeared against the correct supplier even if we had somehow paid them without the previous match.  We went so far as to track down the payment by requesting a statement from the various affected suppliers. For audit purposes, this was deemed the more sound approach.  We found lots of errors and problems that wouldn’t have been otherwise uncovered.

Generating just the closed date without any subsequent match leaves you pretty open for audit related questions.  

If you aren’t subject to audits, have no concerns with SOX compliance, and don’t need to have a worry about the appearance of fraud, then just closing the receipt is possibly a workable idea.  However, you should ensure that it is the financial controller and general manager who are signing up for this.  There is no way I would sign up for that as solely an IT Manager or Analyst operation.  That is just for me though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I agree with and understand the risks and am doing this research with full participation by accounting management - the GL group has already done the work from the GL perspective to manually research/reconcile/account for any unmatched receipts.  We are simply looking for a way to now clean up the standard GRNI report so it can be utilized in the ongoing reconciliation process vs. the quick report we have been using that only goes to the PO level, and further levels of line, release, receipt need to be manually researched individually.

Any other comments on the technical feasibility of loading the closed date with an external file vs. manually typing it in much appreciated!