Question

MRP Planning Forecast

• 16 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi all, I have a question (well actually 1000 questions) in regards to MRP. We are trying to move the planning process into MRP, I am fairly new to the company and to IFS. We want the forecast to be generated in the DP client, and then transferred to MS1 and MRP, and then for MRP to plan purchase requirements. However, we are raising shop orders for our finished goods, as well as assembled parts. As far as I can tell MRP would plan for both, Forecast from the DP client and shop orders, which would a duplication. How can I set MRP to look at Forecast only, not at shop orders?

Thank you,

Jess 

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

Typically, MS Level 1 will be used to create Shop Order Requisitions for the finished goods (based on the forecast from Demand Planner).  These requisitions can then be converted into Shop Orders by your planner.  The MS Level 1 calculation will consider forecast demand, actual demand, projected on hand and open supply orders when it creates the proposals.  Actual demand consumes the forecast so there is no duplication of demand.

These demands will then be ‘seen’  by MRP which is typically used to plan for the sub-assemblies (shop order requisitions), purchased components and packaging (purchase requisitions).

I hope that this helps.

Badge +2

Thank you @Richard Owen! Can I exclude actual demand? Meaning I just want MRP to plan as per forecast…

Thanks again!

Jess

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

No, I don’t think it will work like that. 

The MRP calculation will take the gross requirements for the finished products (planned by MS Level 1) and create the corresponding supply proposals/action messages for the sub-assemblies and components.

I don’t really understand why you would only want MRP to look at forecast when the actual demands may be for larger quantities.

Perhaps you could provide a more detailed example of the business case / scenario you are trying to support just in case I have misunderstood anything.

Thanks.

Badge +2

Hi, sure, no problem. We have actual customer order lines for the FG in IFS that shouldn’t be there. This goes back around a year, to when IFS was implemented. The company did not do a data check before the migration happened, which resulted in lots of “old” order lines still being in the system (as actual demand). There is also a connection between Salesforce and IFS, whilst for Salesforce those orders are actually quotes, IFS recognises them as real/actual customer orders. There is a team of people going through all those “old” customer order lines, but the timeline until they are fixed is likely to be up to 12 months. MRP should take those lines into consideration, but I know it shouldn’t as those order lines are not “real”. I know we need to tackle the root cause, but I would like a quick win/fix action so I can start running MS1/MRP. Can we tweak consumed/unconsumed forecast horizon?

Thank you. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information.

Perhaps we could look at updating this field on the ‘old’ customer order lines as a quick interim solution?

This will remove the demand from MS, MRP, etc.

It would be possible to update customer order lines en masse in this screen using the Find and Replace functionality.

Do you think that could work?