Solved

Difference between tools and Serial Objects - IFS CLOUD

• 17 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi,

does someone know what’s the difference between a serial object and a tool now in IFS Cloud 21R1 and after?

I explain:

• with a serial object we can create Wos, PM actions on it, PM programs, report some measurements, connect it as a resource
  • with a tool, we can also create Wos, PM actions on it, PM programs, report some measurements, connect it as a resource.

However, I can also connect the tool to a serial object but what for? The on ly reason why I find is because we cant’ have any cost/revenue analysis uusing tool (as we can for objects and its structure).

If this button exists for this reason, so why don’t we have cost/rev analysis form them instead of having to manage so many IFS Objects (part serial, serial objects, tools)?

The last differentiator I see for tool is that we can also use a tool on a work order but not using a serial Object Resource in a WO (except assigning the SO on this WO)?

It would be great if someone has the reason why it’s like that…

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Mayura Wasantha 20 June 2022, 11:27

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

This requirement came from some implementations like the Noble project for the US Navy needing the tools to have structures which you can’t do with the new tool/equipment functionality.  I still think you should be able to connection functional equipment objects as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thanks for your answer but it does not respond entirely 😉

Fisrt I think we can have a structure with the resource structure, it depends on what are needs in kind of structure… If you want to have it for costs well I understand. That’s always difficul to let customers understand why at one moment we speak about parts, another one then objects and o third one tools…

Nothing better letting them lost

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

This can’t be resolved with a resource structure.  I’m sure I’ve been in front of more customers than you have doing EAM and yeah, this wasn’t thought through when they made the change...just tell them the truth.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi,

I agree, in the maintenance context both Serial Object and  Tool are same class citizens. Both are available for preventive (PM, PM Programs, measurements) and corrective (WO)  maintenance activities. In fact Serial Object had this from the beginning whilst “Tools” were enabled in APP9/APP10 tracks.

However, still the purpose of these 02 entities are different and that has never been changed even after 21R1. Serial Object is a site bound entity used in Asset Administration. It can be moved between different positions/sites by the requirement. Tools on the other. ideally site independent (or multi site) entity that can be used in work planning and execution.

If you are thinking of the Serial Object -Tool connection that has been reintroduced from 21R2 release. This is to achieve specific business requirement explained below (It cannot be resolved by Resource Structures as mentioned by Jerry). Please read the back  ground below, 

In work planning and execution, different types of Tools are used. When it comes to the service industry, it's usually a single tool with a simple purpose such as meters, scopes, and gauges. However, in heavy maintenance industries, the tools required can be complex with many different sub assembly levels. These are commonly termed as ‘Support Equipment’.

The Tool/Equipment business object is a Generic Resource in IFS Cloud that does not support building and maintaining sub-assembly levels.
Hence, there is a reasonable need to provide a better solution to manage such ‘Support Equipment’ in order to build its sub assembly structure and maintain them.

New Connection enables the serial object to act as a place holder to reflect the Support Equipment sub-assemblies and thereby carry out maintenance on them.

I hope this would help you.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Mayura Wasantha thanks for this clear clarification. However as far I understannd even if a tool is multi site, then if we connect it to an object it becomes more restrictive to only a single site

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Mayura Wasantha thanks for this clear clarification. However as far I understannd even if a tool is multi site, then if we connect it to an object it becomes more restrictive to only a single site

If a tool is multisite connected, regardless of the serial object connection it can be planned in other sites as well. When it comes to the execution, the serial object will have to move physically, which is a possibility from 22R1 onwards.