Best Practice for APP10 without CRO

• 1 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16
  • Hero (Customer)
  • 547 replies

Community,

what is the best practice for us on APP10 without CRO (Component Repair Order)?

currently our site in Canada manufactured the product and sell to our sister company in Germany.  currently we don’t have a best practice process (my thoughts) defined in IFS. We are still using RMA to return to Canada site, and lots of manual jobs.

my thought is

1. external service order at Germany side to send the product for service to Canada
  2. Canada site will create service request and receive order (CRO) to receive the product to Canada facility, meantime, create customer order for ship back the product to Germany.
  3. Create Repair Work Order from service request.
  4. complete the repair service and ship back to Germany.

please share your thoughts.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by CindyH 1 August 2023, 19:43

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

From what I am understanding. You sell the parts to your sister company and if the parts are in need of repair they send them back to you, the part is repaired and sent back to Germany.

If so then the process you worked out will work just fine. You could also receive the part via the returns tab in Repair Work Order/Task then ship them out of work order/task as you would normally ship a repair out. It might save a few steps doing it this way. Many organizations in the U.S. utilize the returns tab of Work Order/Task so we can keep components as customer owned stock.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@CindyH Thank you for your reply.

currently, we don’t have CRO module installed. so from you just described,

1. Receive - we could utilize APP10 Prepare Work Order/Task/Return Tab to receive and ship Customer Owned product? what I mean receive, is receive into Canada facility not receive into Repair Work Order.
  2. Return back to Germany -  this could also be done via Task/Return tab without creating a customer order.

Thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

This is correct Ron. You receive customer owned product into prepare work order returns tab. We are in cloud but it would work the same way. I have used this method in Apps9 through cloud. It is the easiest way to receive customer owned product.

It doesn’t have to be a repair order it can be any work order/task (in apps 10 forward, the returns tab is associated with the task).

1. If Germany is using IFS too then you will want to issue the customer owned part into the work order so it leaves your inventory. So Germany can receive it via returns on their end. 
    1. I think it would be better to use a customer order to return it to Germany. They can use an RMA or a PO to receive the part back in.

Which ever way you decide just remember you need to get it out of your inventory location once you have completed the task. You don’t want it to sit in your inventory and Germany’s inventory at the same time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@CindyH Got you. yes, CRO typically is for MRO. Thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@ronhu CRO can be used for any type of repair but it has heavy set up and is very clunky. I actually love what CRO could be if IFS put a little effort into it. Because it has so much set up that is why we came up with the returns tab of work order.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@ronhu CRO can be used for any type of repair but it has heavy set up and is very clunky. I actually love what CRO could be if IFS put a little effort into it. Because it has so much set up that is why we came up with the returns tab of work order.

In a previously life that is what we did as well. We had 2 or 3 Consultancy sessions before they IFS Consultant realized we were not licensed for CRO. That was a god-send as the depot that was going to use CRO did not have the correct skill-set and upskilling was not an option.

Returns Tab on WO worked a treat as minimal entry required and used the WO as a cost collection bucket. As long as the Customer Order was invoiced in that month, to take the component out of stock it did not affect the inventory value and transactions cancelled each other out - we just had to be careful if ‘stock’ was left in over a Month End.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@Matthew

I know you said a previous life, but I want to point out that as long as the component is brought in as customer owned it will always be zero dollar cost in inventory. The WO cost bucket is extremely helpful in situations where labor will be spent repairing or inspecting the product.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Matthew 

@CindyH 

Thank you both.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Matthew

I know you said a previous life, but I want to point out that as long as the component is brought in as customer owned it will always be zero dollar cost in inventory. The WO cost bucket is extremely helpful in situations where labor will be spent repairing or inspecting the product.

Yes agreed - thanks for clarification for the wider audience.

My last employer couldn’t get their head around ‘Customer Owned’ stock in our Inventory. That’s another story.

We were on Apps 9 - so had enough fun dealing with CSS posting and errors within!