Solved

Problems Installing V14,5

• 24 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

We are getting a few users where Alliance has stopped working for them and all the usual tricks have not fixed the issue (clearing temp folders, deleting the files from %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Astea), so finally they have uninstalled Alliance which used to be the final fix but we are finding that some of them are unable to complete the installation fully. 

They have tried on IE11, Firefox, Edge, Edge in Internet explorer mode and even in one case changing their PC and still not able to install Astea Alliance.

It is very possible that this follows the installation of recent Windows updates so I was wondering if anyone has seen similar issues and if they have figured out a way to deal with it?

Thanks

Desperate Chris

icon

Best answer by Andrew D'Antonio 30 June 2022, 22:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris,

Which HF version is deployed?  I know, for example, deploying HF27 requires the full Publisher from HF24 to be deployed (uninstalling the previous publisher) as this shifted from the 32-bit version to 64-bit.  Check what your base version is within one of the clients that is working:

If you are successfully upgraded to the 14.0.0.24 base version, then I would say install only from Edge with the option to reload the page in Internet Explorer mode enabled and used.

Also, I know you remove AppData\Local\Astea files but can you also look at the AppData\Local\Temp folder as there is an xml file that Alliance might put there during installation.  If it is there, also remove that file.

Finally, since you still have IE11 on your client, make sure that the AsteaPublisher140 website is in the trusted zone of your IE.  I am not sure Edge will look at it but just in case.

If you have a previous base version (HF23 and lower) you should upgrade as indicated to HF24 Full Publisher first and then hopefully HF27 after that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Phil, we currently have HF26 installed (HF27 under test)…

We do always clear the temp folder as well.

I think the new PC’s do not have IE11 at all now.

By the way, in our HF27 testing, it all seems good in the UI but in the background we are getting lots of event log Warnings, I wonder if there is a connection.

Thanks

Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

In the past, I’ve seen cases where security software would block the installation.  For the users that are unable to download and install the portal, can you temporarily disable security software during the installation to rule it out?  If you could also provide a screenshot of the error message that they’re receiving, it would help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.  In fact we get no error messages.  The software looks to install as normal but at the end of the install, does not open at all. Just sits there.

The user that was down for a week finally had to have his Windows re-installed which then allowed Alliance to install fully but after that we got new problems which we think are being caused by a security program called Cylance.  We had another users getting blocked by that and had to create a special profile to avoid the issues, so hopefully the same will work for this poor individual.