Solved

Upgrading OS prior to applying IFS Apps 10 UPD 8

• 11 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

according to what we were originally told , app server / middleware UPD 8 and higher supported Windows 2019. Prior to that 2016, The question is can we upgrade the OS to 2019 prior to applying  IFS Apps 10 UPD 8 without the update 8 and 10 script breaking? Our DB server is already on 2019. Thanks for any guidance or experience that can be provided.

icon

Best answer by Sajith D 11 February 2021, 23:44

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @KLAVALLEY ,

Windows 2019 is only certified to run MWS in UPD9 and later. My recommendation would be to hold off on installing MWS in 2019 until you upgrade to UPD9 or 10. Since the MWS upgrade is effectively a new installation of MWS, you can pretty much use the UPD application cutover as the point where you move your MWS in to 2019. 

Cheers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thanks for the quick response, Sajith. 

I misspoke in my question, we have both UPD 8 and just received UPD 10. 

We’d love some more specific guidance, if possible: 

Do we spin up a new server, install the Update 10 delivery on it and call it done?

Or do we set up a new server, install from the initial delivery, then apply patches and subsequent deliveries to get it up to 10?

Or something else?

Thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @KLAVALLEY,

Just realized that my earlier statement of using the the update delivery to install MWS would have been misleading as well given it would only contain the delta between 8-10 rather than all components that you need to the MWS setup. I was thinking in line of the build_home used to create the UPD delivery rather than the delivery it self. Apologies for that.

I think it would depend mostly on how you are planning to upgrade the OS in the MWS VM. In my opinion you would have 2 options to doing this.

1. Apply UPD10 on while the instance is on 2016 VM. Give it couple of weeks and then do an in-place upgrade of the OS so that the VM is upgraded to 2019. 
  2. Spin up a VM in 2019 well ahead of time. Request a copy of the updated build_home (in UPD10)  from IFS and use that build to install a new MWS instance after the patch update is done through 2016 VM to make sure that the DB update has gone through. Having the updated build will allow you to do a simple MWS installation and be done with it without having to install earlier patches in order.

Having a full up-to-date build on hand before you go ahead with an OS upgrade regardless of the approach used is always handy. While an in-place OS update shouldn’t really break anything, better to be prepared for a worse case scenario. Doing the exact same thing you are planning to do in Prod in a Test environment before hand would be the key here.

Cheers

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Great, Sajith. We really appreciate the details and are leaning toward option 2. Thanks for taking time to share your expertise!