Question

Upgrading Oracle from 12c to 19c advice

• 24 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

We went live last July/August and are currently on Apps 10 UPD 8 which is on Oracle 12c.

The intention is to upgrade from Oracle 12c to Oracle 19c.

It may be a daft question but how do we get hold of Oracle 19c.  Is this something IFS provides?

Thanking you in advance for looking and your advice.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

You can download the base Oracle 19.3 database software from https://www.oracle.com/downloads/ using a free Oracle account.

If you would like to upgrade to the latest 19.8 version, you need to request IFS for those patch install files, assuming your Oracle License & Support is through IFS.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Srikanth Thank you for your reply.

I thought I could just download it from https://www.oracle.com/downloads but as this is the first time we will be upgrading Oracle I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

Regards

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @johnw66 ,

Who licensed your Oracle 12c database?   This is the determining question as to where you’d get your Oracle files.  If you licensed your Oracle 12c database from IFS you should open a case with IFS requesting Oracle 19c.  If you licensed you Oracle 12c database from Oracle then you’d download it directly from Oracle including the patches.  

We license our Oracle database from IFS using and when we upgraded from Oracle 12c to Oracle 19c we opened a case and IFS placed all the files we’d need on the FTP site for us to download including instructions for installing Oracle and Oracle patches.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

The Oracle base 19.3 installation files are same, whether you download them directly from Oracle or request through IFS.

For patches, you need an Oracle Support account sothese files have to come from IFS.

Agree with @william.klotz, you still need to let IFS know about the DBupgrade.