Question

Question on planning for service update

• 18 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’m planning for a service update from 22.2.2. to 22.2.7.

Is it required to replace the following 3 artifacts since the versions are higher (including middleware Linux image)? or just the bootstrap and bootstrap binaries are enough

Thanks in advance.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Lakmal 

As we don’t get any software preinstalled with OVA we won’t have much apart from some new security features and network changes on Ubuntu level with new appliances. Therefore, my opinion is we don’t need to apply new virtual appliances. I would suggest you get it installed in a separate server and check ubuntu uname and all. Then you will have an idea of the difference between two OVA versions.

Anyway you must update the bootstrap and bootstrap binaries.

1. Rename the current ifsroot folder.
    ex: ifsroot_old

2. Extract the two new zips of bootstrap and bootstrap binaries.
  3. Replace the old ifsroot/config folder over newly extracted ifsroot/config folder.

Replace everything except for the ifsroot/config/main_config.json and ifsroot/config/main_config.json.template files. And you will have to manually update the main_config.json file matching with old one.

4. Run the main.ps1 with new changes.
    Refer the Initialize & Install steps in Management Server - Documentation.

Refer following IFS document for more information,
IFS-Remote Upgrade Process Documentation

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @Lakmal 

As we don’t get any software preinstalled with OVA we won’t have much apart from some new security features and network changes on Ubuntu level with new appliances. Therefore, my opinion is we don’t need to apply new virtual appliances. I would suggest you get it installed in a separate server and check ubuntu uname and all. Then you will have an idea of the difference between two OVA versions.

Hi Hashan,

Thank you for the reply.

The documents are for the release 22R1 and hope they are applicable for 22R2.

Is there any guideline from IFS on OVA replacement during service update?

Best regards,

Lakmal

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Lakmal 

Hi Hashan,

Thank you for the reply.

The documents are for the release 22R1 and hope they are applicable for 22R2.

Is there any guideline from IFS on OVA replacement during service update?

Best regards,

Lakmal

Yes, They are applicable for 22R2

You can find brief guideline in following IFS document.
Install Middle Tier Server