Solved

IFS App 8SP2 OS Upgrade from Win Ser 2008 R2 to 2016 Std or 2019 Std

• 27 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Dear esteemed Members,

Our customer is planning to upgrade OS to Win Server 2016 Std or 2019 Std from 2008 R2 for its IFS App Ver 8 Sp2 instance. Would request IFS recommendation on the OS upgrade with possible impact. Any technical document or whitepaper available to back up the recommendation.

Regards,

Sunil Nair

icon

Best answer by Srikanth 27 May 2020, 16:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi,

I think WS 2012 is the highest supported OS version for the IFS Application Server.

For the database server, you can go to any version supporting Oracle 12.1.0.2.

Attached is the full list of supported platforms for Apps 8.

Badge +4

Thanks Srikanth!

Any approach, if customer contemplates to upgrade the OS to 2016 or 2019 (understand IFS 10 is currently recommended for 2016), would it require R&D intervention, any possibility they may extend support under extended/contracted support.

or else, customer need to test and validate at own expense?

regards,

Sunil Nair 

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Sunil,

Just so I understood you correctly, you would like to know if the customer can upgrade their Apps 8 related servers to WS 2016 or 2019? 

I wouldn’t do this as the technology running IFS most likely wont run on any OS not recommended by IFS. This is because when IFS Develops their software they release and certify the version to run on specific OS versions.

Even if you manage to upgrade OS to an unsupported version and make IFS to work somehow, you are at a risk of invalidating your IFS Support Agreement.

Apps 8 support on newer OS won’t be extended as IFS expects you run their latest version on newer OS.

Good luck!