Question

Deploying Multiple Deliveries in an Upgrade Project

• 22 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello,

I am reaching out to you to get some information regarding the upgrade projects that you might have done.

I am currently working on an upgrade project from APPS9 to APPS10.  It has about 15 deliveries in total including 2 UPDs.  This takes about 30 hours in total to import the upgraded database and to install all the deliveries for the Managed Cloud.

I was wondering whether it would be okay to deploy multiple deliveries including both UPDs and sending it as a single delivery.  Has anyone followed this approach before?

It would be great if you could share your knowledge and approaches that you followed in the upgrade projects.

Thank You

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I am working with customers where we are in the same situation, both cloud customers and customers running on premise. I am interested in experiences using the Multi Delivery function within IFS Applications Installer, but also if/how it is possible to repackage multiple deliveries into one single delivery. The deliveries may contain a UPD, an additional component, mods, single patches or Oracle critical patch updates.

Thanks for any input or experience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @sajithmendis and @Eva Schwartz ,

When we upgraded from IFS Application 8 SP1+ to IFS Application 10 the upgrade scripts delivered to us were written to upgrade to IFS Application 10 Update 4 but we also purchased the HR modules for IFS Application 10 which were delivered to us separately and we took Update 6 and Update 8 as well.  

If we had gotten our migration scripts redone to take us from IFS Application 8 SP1+ to IFS Application Update 8 straight we could have avoided having to install Update 6 and Update 8 but we didn’t want to incur the cost of having to redo the scripts.   I think you need to run scripts against the update they were created to bring you too before you can install other IFS updates.

We installed our IFS Application 10 production environment which brought us to IFS Application 10 Update 4 level because this is what our scripts were written against.  Then we proceeded to export the data from IFS Application 8 SP1+ and import everything into IFS Application 10 database.  After the import successfully finished we ran the scripts which basically converted our IFS Application 8 SP1+ to IFS Application 10 Update 4.  After the scripts had successfully completed we verified everything imported and converted properly and make a backup of the database and application server before moving to the next steps.  

We then installed the HR delivery since that was the first delivery after taking IFS Application Update 4.  After a successful installation of the HR Delivery we again backed up the database and application server and proceeded to install the Update 6 delivery.  After successfully backing up this installation we installed the last delivery which was the Update 8 delivery.  Again after successfully installing the delivery we backup the database and application server.

We started this on at 6:00pm Thursday night and  by Saturday night we had everything installed and we had successfully imported our updated permission sets and custom packages and procedures.  We were able to spend Sunday testing the installation and on Monday morning we were open for business. 

Regards,

William Klotz