Question

Application Server Migration

• 13 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi All

We are currently investigating a DR scenario whereby we recover IFS. Due to the requirements of the scenario we need to change the name of the Application Server - e.g. if it is called ifsapp1 we need to recover it to a new server called ifsapp2.

We are confident in our steps to recover the database but the application server is proving trickier. We have been able to create a new application server from a backup of the current application server and we have renamed the server itself. Where we are struggling is updating the configuration for IFS to pick up the name change of the server.

We have tried updating the following files,  replacing the "old" Application Server to the "new" Application Server name, but this has not been enough:

E:\IFS\IFSExt\IFSD\instance\IFSD
    IFSD_configuration.xml
    build.properties
    IFSD_configuration_delivery.xml

E:\IFS\IFSExt\IFSD\instance\IFSD\bin
   mws.properties

E:\IFS\IFSExt\IFSD\instance\IFSD\conf
   login.config

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

regards

Jamie

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi Jamie, 

I rely on ‘Delete’ followed by ‘Create New’ options in the installer to re-create the IFS instance cleanly. This should update all the configuration files with the new hostname.

Badge +2

Hi Srikanth

Thanks for the help - that has proven very useful!

This morning I have deleted and created a new instance for our dev environment which completed successfully. It took around 2 hours so we now know we need to add at least that time to our recovery estimate.

I have tested the start-up and shutdown scripts and they work against the new instance as well.

Unfortunately I can’t seem to access the new instance. We access through a URL which is the server name and port number e.g. https://server1:48080 but I get a “This site can’t be reached” error.

I think that I am missing some part of the setup/ configuration but not sure where this would be. I am just accessing the URL from the application server so I would not have thought that it would be DNS related or anything?

Appreciate any further help yourself or anyone else can provide.

Regards

Jamie

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

What is the version of IFS?

Badge +2

Hi Srikanth

We are on IFS10 UPD11

Regards

Jamie

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

What type of certificate is being used - Self-signed or SSL? Have you logged into Admin Console to check whether all Middleware Servers are online and green?

The issue could be something related to certificate or infrastructure related.

Badge +2

Hi Srikanth

We are using  an SSL certificate. It is the same ceritifcate used on our Live and Test environments so I am confident that it is not the issue.

Unfortunately we access the admin console via a URL so it is also not available.

Thanks for your help and ideas - the delete and recreate has really moved us on a couple of steps.

Regards

Jamie