Question

Packing Proposal and WaDaCo

• 14 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

I’m working with a customer who is interested in utilizing Packing Proposal as well as a  WaDaCo configuration to validate the packing of the Shipment, although, this seems not possible from core.  

Scenario:

1. Warehouse worker (picker) will receive a Warehouse Task to pick material to a staging area to await packing.  
  2. Warehouse worker (packer) will review the staging area and would like to pack the order using WaDaCo based upon Packing Proposal recommendation 

Issue:

Since Packing Proposal packs the Unattached Shipment Lines into Handling Units, the Warehouse Worker (packer) can no longer use Pack into Handling Unit on Shipment configuration as no unattached Shipment Lines exist anymore.  

Since the packer is packaging the box based on paperwork and no barcode scanning, it’s possible they can put the wrong part in the wrong box.

Is this on the radar to be addressed?

I know it’s possible for the user to forego the Packing Proposal and just use the Max Weight/Volume on the Pack into Handling Unit on Shipment, but then it’s up to the user to package the order and they may not be as efficient.  

Environment:

23R1

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

I ask some questions to try to understand your desired process and requirements. You pick into staging area and then you would like to pack the parts using packing proposal. Today the packing proposal can only be generated before the picking, the basic idea is that you pack into the handling unit during picking and then confirm it after the picking (you could check have checks like comparing actual and theoretical weight). I guess that you are asking for some additional step to confirm the planned packing generated by the packing proposal part by part with some WaDaCo process?

This is general issue when you are working with planned packing; manually, with packing proposal, with handling unit capacity, or with packing instruction. It has been discussed that we might need some confirm step in these scenarios.

Please come back with reply to see if we have understood this correctly. Then we can start to check is there is anything in the roadmap.

Best Regards

Fredrik

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for the reply, @Fredrik Johansson LKP 

Yes, an additional confirmation step would be ideal.  

Below is a little more background:

In this business scenario, there are two different employees.  

1. Employee 1’s job is to execute the Warehouse Task via WaDaCo.  They will pick the material from the Picking location and bring to back to a staging area in Shipping.  Picture a cart with multiple shelves that each have a different Shipment on.  Employee 1 does not get involved in the packing of the shipment into the shipping boxes.  They solely pick material.
  2. Employee 2’s job is to take the material from the shelf on the cart and pack it into the shipping box.  Currently, it’s up to the person packing to decide which boxes they should use and how they should pack the material.  Sometimes, this creates unnecessary waste as the user may not select the correct sized box (i.e. they choose too big of a box)

Currently, in step #2 above, there is no mechanism in WaDaCo for this person to confirm they are packing the order according to the suggested packing proposal. 

The concern is that the person may get distracted and put an item in the incorrect box.  The person needs a mechanism to scan the HU and the part to confirm they have packed it per the packing proposal.  

In an ideal world, I think this probably exists as a couple of additional WaDaCo configurations:

• One would show the user the structure of how the shipmentis packed (example screenshot below)
  • Then a button that says ‘Pack’ and guides the user through a modified process of the ‘Pack into HU on Shipment’ configuration.  

Hopefully the above helps.  Please let me know if additional clarity around the business process would be helpful.

Thanks,

Faraz

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

Ok, than I get what you are asking for. It has been discussed from time to time that there is a need for a confirmation step for the planned packing. It has never been prioritized though. I haven’t heard that this is to be done soon with the current prioritizations. I will check with the Product Management if there is anything in the backlog.

Best Regards 

Fredrik

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for the feedback, @Fredrik Johansson LKP